Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans as late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loans as late

Well I disputed one of the many student loans I have. I have one from 2008 that defaulted around 2009 or 2010.  I paid this loan with cash after it was defaulted.  They just updated my credit report from the dispute.  They put that they filed a claim with goverment and it showing up as feb 2019 so it says on file until 2015.

i found this on the experian q and a.

"

although the original accounts are now closed, they are still a part of your credit history. Failing to repay any debt is always considered negative.

When a borrower defaults on student loans that are guaranteed by the federal government, the creditor can file a claim with the government to recover the amount of the loan. However, the borrower still owes the debt.

The government can consolidate the accounts into a new loan for collection of the debt. The status "claim filed with government" indicates that has taken place.

The original student loan accounts will remain on your report for seven years from the initial missed payment that led to the claim being filed with the government."

This loan was paid off many years ago by cash but they are now updating to look like they just filed a claim. I guess more work. Not to mention I locked myself out of my experian credit report by choosing a wrong answer and now I have to request by mail.

Question now that I have updates on my report do I get to request a new one for free?

Thanks

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

I called experian and did a dispute over the phone and will type a letter and submit it. I also called the student loan and they confirmed that they didnt file a claim this month and they are not showing that info on their side. So im not sure if its to fresh but hopefully it gets resolved. I am also going to try a goodwill letter as well.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's great!
They send my credit report iautomatically when I do a dispute. I've gotten them for each one and it didn't matter whether it came out in my favor it not. They were by phone.
I don't think Goodwill letters are a good idea. In your case it was not your fault; the error was cause by your enrollment not bring credited. A Goodwill letter says it was my fault, but could you please forgive it. Plus you can't do that with federal loans. They have to report accurately. It's different regulations than credit cards, etc.
I would just keep don't what your doing. Maybe if you don't have success by phone try mail. Then the Ombudsman, then CFPB. They didn't do what they were supposed to. Sometimes you need to give them a nudge. In my expertise the worse the problem, the more likely they'll give excuses and hope you go away.
You've been making excellent progress. Hope the dispute turns out well.
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the encouragement. Its a lot of work trying to get accurate information on credit reports. Worst case scenario alot of these student loans will fall off in the next year or two. That's basically the only thing really hurting me.

Credit karma has me around 630s and Experian fico8 says 593. I worked my way up from a low 500s.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also I was apart of the ITT student loans so I'm going to see about loan forgiveness as many of my classmates have gotten.
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's hard to clean up your reports, but sounds like you've gotten a lot done already. These disputes will give you three new ones. Every so often I buy the 3B credit scores for $1 from creditchecktotal too (just cancel as soon as you save them). You can do this even if you've done it before.
I've been working with someone who has a similar situation as yours and getting out of the 500's seems the biggest challenge. You've done that. Once this is fixed I think your score will look really nice.
Oh heck yes! Not only is it forgiven, but it's not taxable income. If you qualify, I'd do that right away. Since they were ordered to resume processing, it shouldn't take that long at all.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit: I forgot to mention that my loans defaulted from them starting the timer on payments early. They are showing me as late when I was in school and should have had the differment. They said my school reported me as time . Well half time still qualifies for deferment.  This default has increased my intrest through consolidation,  excluded me from some Public service loan forgivness programs for nursing. and ruined my report as well causing stress and lost time.

Okay so update:

NMEAF New mexcio educational assistance foundation-

So after talking with Experian they filed more disputes on my behalf. This made things worse and they made 9 accounts look brand new defaulted student loans. So I contacted NMEAF and they said they havent touched it and everything looks right on their end. I even contatced the ceo. Well no change. So I contatced the CFPB and complained to them about NMEAF and included Experian . 

Well they updated it and it looked better only for experian to go in 2 days later and dispute all 19 accounts with NMEAF. Well this really messed things up because now they put a failure to pay as of 04/19 and removed all previous history. SO I contatced NMEAF again and they say it looks good. So I sent here 3 images of all different reporting accounts. Still have not heard back. ALso my score dropped from 686 to 634 from those changes. SO FRUSTRATING.

I just filed another complaint because they defaulted me and have lates whie I was still enrolled in school. I have my transcripts proving I was enrolled and should have had in school deferment in place. SO lets see , I also Hired an attorney, requested meetings with my state senators, filed a complaint with the attorney general as well. I plan on doing more.

Im sure they have done this to others as they stand to get paid from defaults from the Government . 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay another update:

I got a call back and now theyre saying its NM student loans Guarantor reporting the wrong info. Which is actually the same company so its kinda weird.

So whats even worse I looked through my National Loan Database and none of the amounts or dates match up. Also there are more accounts than loans so something is wrong.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's so weird!
The school years that are not reporting as you having attended half-time... Was that a first attendance or there was a gap and you went back to school?
Did you check your personal information on NSLDS? Could they have linked you with someone else's loans? You can expand each loan to find out the details too. Your grants would be listed as well.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.