Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans as late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans as late

I have student loans from years back that are reported as late. I was in school and the timer should not have been started but the school didnt report that I was enrolled. So i have several loans that are late but they are also paid because I consolodated them. The student loan said I was responsible for them and would not change the reporting. Should I dispute them off or is that giving me some credit age?

18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loans as late

You're thinking of disputing to remove the lates, right? Good lines would stay on your account for up to ten years after closing. It shouldn't affect age. It's still on your report whether it's positive or negative. 

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes , so if they remove the whole account everything will go with it wont it? Also when submitting for a dispute what is a good reason to use ? I guess it wouldnt be so bad to have it fall off since its reporting late  . its late in 2014.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is correct. You're not saying the lates were a mistake so the servicer has an obligation to report them. Sometimes they can be removed with a dispute; whatever you put should be the truth imo. If they don't get removed, you'll just have to wait.
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lates are actually a mistake because my school should've reported as enrolled but because they didnt the timer started on my loans. When your in school you dont have to make payments until after 6 months of being out.

While I was In school and should not of had to make payments. But be because the reporting was not accurate it started my payment timer.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this a continuation of your studies or was there a gap before you returned to school?
Also, were you enrolled at least half time?
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was enrolled full time and it well I was in school for my associate's.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the semester they failed to report you as enrolled was continuous, yes, you shouldn't have begun your 6 months grace period yet. If there was a gap and you went back to school it was your responsibility to ask for the in-school deferment even though sometimes it's automatically granted.
I would start by gathering the papers proving enrollment, such as maybe your transcripts with grades to prove you finished the semester. Submit these to your servicer, in writing (mail or fax, without your phone number), with an explanation of the problem. Let them reply in writing. If you make a phone call or send mail log the dates and people you had contact with. You should also get copies of your bills and any written notifications they sent during the time of the lates and your enrollment.

If you do not have success dealing with your servicer, the next step is the student loan Ombudsman. If you don't get a good resolution there, go to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and file an online complaint there. Tell the story in detail and include all the paperwork and information from above. That had the most success for me. It seems like a hassle but I would do it if I had lates that weren't my fault. Servicers often avoid accountability. I don't think federal student loan lates fall off after 7 years. You might want to check.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the detailed reply. I will definitely try that.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome. Good luck and keep us updated.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.