cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student loans considered as installment loans ?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Student loans considered as installment loans ?

For FICO scoring purposes is Student Loan considered as Installment loan or is it better to add a separate installment loan to the credit mix to boost the scores ?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Student loans considered as installment loans ?

They are considered an installment loan

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they are. You're good.
The best part is that if it's a federal student loan you'll likely end up with more than one before education is done. This usually helps build up good payment history and age on your file.
Additionally, any high utilization will not cost you that many points because they expect you to pay it off over time. Hope this helps.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

For FICO scoring purposes is Student Loan considered as Installment loan or is it better to add a separate installment loan to the credit mix to boost the scores ?

My student loans provided a very good cushion for my recent app spree.

I applied for about 5 different cards in the last 2 months and neither my AAoA (dropped from ~5 years to ~4 years) nor my scores (dropped from the 760-800 range to to the 740-780  range) took nearly as much of a beating as I feared. In fact, my scores are already trending back upward.

Message 4 of 7
Creditsen
Regular Contributor

Yes, it is considered installment. I paid off my student loan several years ago and it has fallen off my Vantage score. But for FICO, despite being closed, it added to my length of credit history several years past being paid.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it's 7 years for the lates and 10 years for the closed account. That and the low interest rate is why they caution those just entering repayment to pay your student loans off steadily, but don't rush to pay them off too quickly.
Message 6 of 7
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I believe it's 7 years for the lates and 10 years for the closed account. That and the low interest rate is why they caution those just entering repayment to pay your student loans off steadily, but don't rush to pay them off too quickly.

^ This is why people think I'm crazy for paying off my loan like it's on fire Smiley Wink  

(it is 0.4% higher than my auto loan, though Smiley Wink )

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.