cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPD Loan forgiveness with VA disability rating.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TPD Loan forgiveness with VA disability rating.

Hello all,

I’ve been reading about everyone’s experience with their TPD discharge over the last few weeks and have found the information very helpful.  I would like to offer my own experience through this process to everyone as well. I was medically discharged from the Army last year.  My original plan was to wait to apply for TPD until I could save enough to cover the tax bill (which would have taken me a really long time).  Once I confirmed with my CPA that there wouldn’t be a tax liability starting this year, I submitted my application.

04/17/18:  Completed Online Application with Nelnet.  Uploaded my VA Benefit Summery letter showing my 100% P&T rating.

04/19/18:  Received email from Nelnet acknowledging receipt of documents and stating they would be forwarded for review.

04/20/18:  Official Assignment Date in the system.

04/23/18:  The status was changed to “Application Under Review”

04/26/18:  Received letter from Nelnet stating my application was under review and in forbearance while they were confirming initial eligibility. My loan information was listed on this letter as well.

04/26/18:  Also received letter from DOE stating they had received my application for TPD discharge the same day.  This letter stated ”…you may be eligible for discharge based on information provided by the VA”, and listed my disability date as the date I was medically retired.

05/08/18:  The status was changed to “Pending Final Review”.

07/03/18:  The status changed to “Permanent Discharge”. 

07/09/18:  Received a letter from Nelnet stating that DOE completed its review of my TPD application and approved my application effective 07/03/18.

I called three times after submitting my application, and each time I received the same scripted response of “about 120 days but cannot give an exact date”.  I didn’t find contacting them helpful at all.  Now the waiting begins to see when my credit report is updated...

Life has been quite challenging since being injured.  I'm grateful that I'm able to apply earlier than expected and without the tax burden...Smiley Happy

Message 31 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing your information!  As far as the credit bureaus, for me it took about 30 days by the time all three agencies had updated to reflect the balance as zero.  As stated in my previous and two month on the paid student loan had zero effect on my credit scores.

Message 32 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for taking the time to share your info!  Posts like your really do help those out who are looking get information.  It did for me!

Message 33 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get a letter from the Department of Education themselves telling you they received your application, and that you may be eligible? It appears some get them and some don’t. I’m just looking for answers.
Message 34 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did your Dad get an actual letter from the Department of Education saying he may be eligible?
Message 35 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, just to keep everyone updated. I submitted my application on 6/6 and today the status changed to “Pending Final Approval”. That’s gotta be a good sign, right? We will see and I’ll let you all know what happens next.
Message 36 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone seen. “Pending Final Approval” status get denied?
Message 37 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your good if it’s at pending final approval; it’s just a matter of DOE to make the final approval

Message 38 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, he actually didn’t. As I stated previously, we were closing on a house and his school debt that he forgot about came up. When it came up and we ran out of options, my mom asked did he hear about the discharge. This all came on spot because he was recently approve 100% service disconnect in December. He had no idea! So we contact Nelnet and he was eligible for the process.
Message 39 of 154
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you get a letter from the Department of Education themselves telling you they received your application, and that you may be eligible? It appears some get them and some don’t. I’m just looking for answers.

Yes I got one from DOE at the beginning confirming my application receipt and possible eligibility.  It arrived the same day as the letter from Nelnet confirming they had received my application as well.

Message 40 of 154
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.