Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPD Student Loan Discharge based on VA Rating

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TPD Student Loan Discharge based on VA Rating

On Friday, 2/9/2018, I filled out my TPB application and emailed it to them. According to everything I’ve read, they only want the VA benefit letter stating the level of disability (percentage) and whether it’s P&T. So, I sent them that and their 1-page application. That’s it. 

I got an email the following Monday saying they received it and someone would be in touch in about a week. Anyone else run into any problems in this process?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TPD Student Loan Discharge based on VA Rating

@Anonymouswrote:

On Friday, 2/9/2018, I filled out my TPB application and emailed it to them. According to everything I’ve read, they only want the VA benefit letter stating the level of disability (percentage) and whether it’s P&T. So, I sent them that and their 1-page application. That’s it. 

I got an email the following Monday saying they received it and someone would be in touch in about a week. Anyone else run into any problems in this process?

Thanks!

It takes about a month to make their determination. Which in government terms is lightning speed. You should have no issues.

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. The status just changed to "pending final approval."

Message 3 of 43
jayhawk05
Valued Member

Great news! By any chance, did you see negative tradelines removed? I was approved on 3/6 and saw the balance listed as 0, but tradelines are still reported. 

Thanks!

FICO 8 as of 4/27/2023:

Current Cards:

Message 4 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, can you tell me how long after you received a Pending Final Approval status, did you get either an approval or denial status? I'm tring to gage how long this process takes, as times have been varying for many people, from 30, to 60, to 90, all the way up to 120 days. Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Message 5 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - For me, I think it was around  6-10 days later.  The whole process took 55 days from submission to discharge.  I can tell you that the discharge, at least to date, has had zero affect on my FICO scores.  $92k discharged to zero and nothing....

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

When did they finally make a decision on your discharge?

Message 7 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. The status just changed to "pending final approval."

How long did your status stay in "Pendal Final Approval"? Did you get your loans discharged? You haven't updated and I'm trying to gage how long I will have to wait. Thanks for your input in advance.

Message 8 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent my VA paperwork to nelnet on April 3rd 2018. About May 3rd my account went into pending final approval. They send the paperwork off to the department of education in batches. Some times it can take them a couple of weeks to send it off. However, they told me mine got sent to the DOE on April 26th. SO they must have been slow updating my account to pending final approval. It was taking forever so i called neltnet and was told there is a backlog right now. Finally on July 3rd 2018 I logged onto Federal Student Aid and it said Permanent Discharge. It took exactly 90 days from the time they recieved my paperwork until it was permanant discharge. It took 60 days from the time it went into pending final approval to being permanent discharge. I read somewhere else that it only took 2 weeks for one person to go from pending to final discharge. Depends on if their is a backlog or not. 

Message 9 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response and I’m being patient. I guess I’ll find out. I was told my Application went to the DOE on 4 Jun 2018, and that they do have a backlog of Disabled Veterans who submitted applications as they weren’t aware of the program. 🤞🏽
Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.