Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Refund Garnishment

New Visitor

Tax Refund Garnishment

I have a loan through the Dept. of Education that's in default and they have garnished my federal tax refund as a result. I need the money pretty bad as I'm currently unemployed and thus I plan to appeal the offset via an economic hardship appeal.


I've read several articles about the process but they all seem to say something different - or they're discussing wage garnishment rather than tax refund garnishment.


My question is: does anyone have any experience or advice with this process? I expected the offset as I knew the loan was in default, but I haven't been able to pay and at the moment literally have zero monthly income. I read about a statement of financial status form where I'd need to provide proof of my monthly income, but as I have no monthly income I'm a little confused as to how this works. Do I just put $0 and hope for the best?


Any help and/or advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 1