Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think my spouse royally messed up

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Think my spouse royally messed up

We are thinking about getting a mortgage.  He thought to free up some money for a downpayment and moving to put his student loans into whatever category it is where you don't have to pay for three months and then get back on track.  I know those are not considered "Late" but doesn't that look bad to a mortgage underwriter?  I'm so upset.

He did this just yesterday and we are both wondering if there is anyway to "turn off" the three months free thing and just go back to paying each monthly payment so it will report that he is making payments.  

Just so frustrated he does things without talking to me first.  Does anyone know if you can cancel the three months "hardship" since he just did it yesterday and go back to them drafting our account for the payments so it reports that he makes a payment every month?

thank you!

ps-I wasn't sure if this was supposed to go under the student loan, mortgage or relationships and money forum.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Think my spouse royally messed up

It sounds like your spouse got a forebearance (deferment is the other -similar- option with some student loans).  You should be able to call/contact the servicer and have it removed without issue.

Don't stress, forebearance isn't uncommon or unusual and this should be a very easy fix.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 6
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

If that is your biggest complaint, he is a keeper.

Read the thread about the husband who took out four 99% apr high risk loans secretly....

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 6
brandonm
Valued Member

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

If that is your biggest complaint, he is a keeper.

Read the thread about the husband who took out four 99% apr high risk loans secretly....

Sounds like a good read. Would you happen to have a link? I couldn't find it using search.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Student loans in forbearance can actually kill a mortgage, believe it or not.  It depends on the type of loan and the lender.

Under new Freddie guidelines, loans in forbearance will be calculated for DTI purposes as 1% of the total loan debt per month if the current monthly payment on his credit report shows as $0. IOW, the lender will make believe that your monthly loan payment is 1% of your total loan balance.

Fannie is more lenient.

It’s complicated, so you will want to get with an experienced lender who knows how to work with student loans.

https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/changes-freddie-mac-fha-student-loan-guidelines

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just request that they reverse it. This may need to be done in writing. I know that if you do ain in-school deferment, in order to cancel it you have to do an in-school deferment cancellation request and you can only do it once, ever.
Ask them for the complete details of undoing it. Additiinally some types of loans do view plans like standard repayment vs IDR plans differently. There's a thread from the mortgage topic I can give you a link to if you would like a detailed explanation.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.