Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion Balance dispute

tag
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Transunion Balance dispute

I have a few student loans and I'm current (with no loans on all of them (I actually pay more than I'm required to per month). I have 1 loan that I've been paying on since 2008 but Transunion hasn't been updated since Sept. 2011. It shows I have a balance of $2,381 but my payoff amount is really $1,223.77.

The school says they are reporting that I'm current with the accurate info and my other CR's show the corrent amount.

Should I just dispute with Transunion?

I'm guessing it's not going to just correct itself. How can they keep reporting the wrong amount for over a year?

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

2/16 - 864 Fico EQ (CITI); 818 Fico Ex (AMEX)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Transunion Balance dispute

Are you applying for a mortgage anytime soon? If so, I'd wait until your are done. If not mortgage or refi down the road, it might be worth a dispute if you don't get anywhere with the OC. It won't help your FICO, but you'd want it to update sometime otherwise it'll continue to report the same. Before you dispute, make sure you were 100% on-time in any month that it shows "OK". Some creditors have a nasty habit of adding lates where there were none reported before. They go back into your payment history in their records and update accurately.

Message 2 of 4
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

No mortgage, certainly not in the next 5 years. I have a record of every payment. I've been on autopay since I started repayment back in 2009. The loan was directly with the school and they say that they've been reporting that I'm on-time. The other bureaus have the correct info. 

Current Cards: AMEX Everyday ($15k), AMEX BCE ($20k), Amex Platinum, Arrival ($11.5k), Merrill+ ($7.5k), Freedom ($5k), Double Cash ($6.5k)

Message 3 of 4
ceemee2203
Regular Contributor

Just following up. Calling the school did it. It looks like its reporting correctly now.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.