Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuition debt to school.. what to do?

tag
Amerabian
New Contributor

Tuition debt to school.. what to do?

I used to be on a scholarship which paid my tuition every semester.

The scholarship providers are VERY corrupt and systematically stop paying students tuition (a few here and there out of hundreds of thousands) putting the money in their pockets and reporting to the foriegn government that these students get paid. (stealing from their own government, in the US).

I stopped going to school (1 semester to graduate) and started working.

Of course, I've been a little busy fixing my life issues (car, credit, personal matters).. but now I plan to clear this issue by:

- First, fighting the battle against these cowards.. and getting my documents in hand and escalating the issue to the ministry of education in the original country.

- IF ALL FAILS, I plan to pay the debt to school myself.

I am writing for advice on what to do (IF ALL FAILS)..

The debt is $16,000 owed to the school.

I plan to go back to school in a year.

I am unable to register for classes until that debt is paid in full.

I obviously cannot pay the debt all at once.

What would be my options if I couldn't get the authorities in the original country to act on this?

I am an American citizen but never used any government benefits or student loans and have no idea what I qualify for? (Federal loans, etc..)

Can I recieve student loans for that debt, start making payments, register for classes, and attend school WHILE paying that debt? (This would be GREAT!)

I still have high hopes that the authorities in the main country would react, but I like to know what my second plan could be so I don't lose hope if my dispute never works.

FICO Score: 644
NPSL$500$300$500$528

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuition debt to school.. what to do?

You're an American citizen who received a scholarship from another country?  That sounds like a very unusual situation, not one I've ever heard of.  Have you tried talking to the consulate for that country and/or the US Embassy in that country?  Perhaps they can advise you?

Whether you can do a payment plan and attend while paying the debt would be up to the school.  Have you explored options for repayment with the Financial Aid office?

Student loans cannot be taken out to cover past debts, but you should fill out a FAFSA and talk to the financial aid office about receiving student loans for your remaining schooling.  Your credit score does not impact your ability to receive federal student loans, but again, your debt to the school may impact your ability to enroll in classes and therefore take out loans to attend.

Message 2 of 5
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

You won't be able to get student loans for a past debt, and you'll be ineligible to get future federal loans until you're actually enrolled in school.

I would talk to the school and see if you can enter into some kind of payment arrangement on the outstanding debt. Depending on what their rules are, they might let you enroll if you can show that you are working toward paying the debt. But that all comes down to the individual school.

Message 3 of 5
Amerabian
New Contributor

You're an American citizen who received a scholarship from another country?

Yes, I hold dual citizenships..

You won't be able to get student loans for a past debt, and you'll be ineligible to get future federal loans until you're actually enrolled in school.

Now, I'm more determined to get those ****s to pay that debt.. Otherwise, I'll cause them a lot of international embarrassment.

What actually saved me is that I got a job after they stopped paying me.

I know A LOT of students who just gave up and went back to their country without a degree due to the greed of those working at the embassy :/

FICO Score: 644
NPSL$500$300$500$528

Message 4 of 5
kjel
Established Contributor

Is the school collecting the debt or is it a collection agency trying to get the $16K from you? How is it reporting on your credit reports, if it is at all?

You may or may not be eligible for financial aid. It really depends on what the debt is: loan, promissory note, ordinary debt. 

I owe my graduate school $2K under a promissory note, it has no impact on federal financial aid but until the debt is clear I cannot enroll in my former university because of the debt. It doesn't prevent me from enrolling somewhere else or taking out more student loans.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.