Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Department of Education: Rehab and Credit Reporting

tag
brightsprite
Valued Member

US Department of Education: Rehab and Credit Reporting

Just wanted to throw in my story with rehabbing these student loans and making sure they report correctly after the loans are caught up: 

In 2011 I was changing careers and got behind on my loans. I finally called and discussed a plan with them. I would catch up on the balance do and they would put the loans in forbearance for about 6 months. I noticed a couple of years later (now that I'm finally trying to be responsible with my credit) that they kept reporting "90 days late" 3-4 months into the forebearance. So I had 6 installment student loans (loans split up by semester) reporting with 5-6 lates each.

Since they went back into repayment, new tradelines were opened associated with the loan servicer ("US Dept of Ed/Aspire") and I haven't been late on them at all for 2+ years. However, I still had the old tradelines ("US Dept of Ed") reporting lates-- the first 30 and 60 day lates were legitimately mine, but the 90 day lates while they should have been in forebearance were not. I wanted them to at least remove the 90 day lates, but of course it would have been ideal for them to remove all lates after the rehabbing was done. 

So I disputed--ALL lates removed. The old tradelines are there for Equifax with "OKs" and "paying as agreed". TU deleted the old tradelines altogether and Experian marked them "transferred", which is fine.

Just a little note to echo those who have come before me: If they don't remove the lates once rehabbing is done, DISPUTE and hopefull all will be resolved. 

Scores: EX: 690 (FICO 8, 03/22/2016; EQ: 695 (FICO 8, 03/22/2016); TU: 715 (FICO 8, 03/22/2016)
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Re: US Department of Education: Rehab and Credit Reporting

@LeDiRab wrote:

Just wanted to throw in my story with rehabbing these student loans and making sure they report correctly after the loans are caught up: 

In 2011 I was changing careers and got behind on my loans. I finally called and discussed a plan with them. I would catch up on the balance do and they would put the loans in forbearance for about 6 months. I noticed a couple of years later (now that I'm finally trying to be responsible with my credit) that they kept reporting "90 days late" 3-4 months into the forebearance. So I had 6 installment student loans (loans split up by semester) reporting with 5-6 lates each.

Since they went back into repayment, new tradelines were opened associated with the loan servicer ("US Dept of Ed/Aspire") and I haven't been late on them at all for 2+ years. However, I still had the old tradelines ("US Dept of Ed") reporting lates-- the first 30 and 60 day lates were legitimately mine, but the 90 day lates while they should have been in forebearance were not. I wanted them to at least remove the 90 day lates, but of course it would have been ideal for them to remove all lates after the rehabbing was done. 

So I disputed--ALL lates removed. The old tradelines are there for Equifax with "OKs" and "paying as agreed". TU deleted the old tradelines altogether and Experian marked them "transferred", which is fine.

Just a little note to echo those who have come before me: If they don't remove the lates once rehabbing is done, DISPUTE and hopefull all will be resolved. 

Thank you for posting your experience getting out of the hole and rehabbing your loans.  I just set up a rehab agreement with all of my student loans, so in 9 months they should all be up to date.  If not, I will dispute like you.  Good luck!

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.