Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Dept of Ed vs. US Dept of ED/GSL/ATL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Dept of Ed vs. US Dept of ED/GSL/ATL

So this is Day One of my dedication to CR. I'm 2 payments into a rehab with ECMC, but I need to deal with the other loans on my CR. I'm confused by the US Dept. of ED entries. I have four (4) entries for "US Dept of Education" in Greenville TX showing three different statuses on each CRA. Then I have four (4) entries for "US Dept of ED/GSL/ATL" for the same loans but with an address in Iowa City. These don't show up on TU, but show as closed negatives on the other two CRAs.

THEN, there is a single US Dept of Education entry with the Greenville, TX addreess that reports as a positve closed defferment.

Can anyone make sense of this?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: US Dept of Ed vs. US Dept of ED/GSL/ATL

My reccomendation is to log on to the National Student Loan Data System (nslds.ed.gov).  That website has a comprehensive listing of your federal loans and contact information for the current servicer or collection agency.  It's not unusual for federal loans to be transferred to a different servicer, and if they default they are usually sent to a collection agency and can be bounced around there as well.

The NSLDS will give you a clearer picture of your situation, and it may even be more up-to-date or complete than your credit reports.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I've tried that but I don't know my PIN (it's been so many years) and I keep getting stuck in a loop trying to figure out how to get a new one. The site is very user unfriendly!

Message 3 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

Are you using this website: https://pin.ed.gov/PINWebApp/pinindex.jsp to retrieve your PIN?  If it's not working, I would reccomend using the contact form on that page to get everything reset.

Message 4 of 7
audia4
Established Contributor

@SCF wrote:

My reccomendation is to log on to the National Student Loan Data System (nslds.ed.gov).  That website has a comprehensive listing of your federal loans and contact information for the current servicer or collection agency.  It's not unusual for federal loans to be transferred to a different servicer, and if they default they are usually sent to a collection agency and can be bounced around there as well.

The NSLDS will give you a clearer picture of your situation, and it may even be more up-to-date or complete than your credit reports.

I just tried to log into this website and can't get it to work. Does this website show your balance and when payments will become due and such?

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 5 of 7
SCF
Valued Contributor

@audia4 wrote:

@SCF wrote:

I just tried to log into this website and can't get it to work. Does this website show your balance and when payments will become due and such?

The NSLDS will show you all of the federal loans you have borrowed, who currently services them, and a fairly current balance.  It also displays your student status (in-school or not).  More detailed information about payment amounts and due dates would have to come from the servicers website.  If you've borrowed federal loans, you can get that info on the NSLDS, but you may have to apply for a PIN or get a new one to get access.

Message 6 of 7
audia4
Established Contributor

@SCF wrote:

The NSLDS will show you all of the federal loans you have borrowed, who currently services them, and a fairly current balance.  It also displays your student status (in-school or not).  More detailed information about payment amounts and due dates would have to come from the servicers website.  If you've borrowed federal loans, you can get that info on the NSLDS, but you may have to apply for a PIN or get a new one to get access.

I did end up finding my info on my Great Lakes, but the website listed above would not work for letting me sign in. I have a PIN, just the website is not working.

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.