Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens after 9th rehab payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens after 9th rehab payment?

so 20 years after i was in school i decided to rehab my federal loans.. today my 7th payment came out.

so what happens after the 9th one? i see some posts about disputes etc but do i need to do this? can i just keep paying? once its rehabbed will it affect my credit and if it does hopefully in a good way!

im asking these questions because really i can only deal with one rediculousness at once(see my post in mortgage loans - short story my landlord is being foreclosed on and bf decided he didnt want to rent anymore so we got a preapproval and decided to buy a house!)

thank you for any info you can provide!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Re: What happens after 9th rehab payment?

No experience here, but a Google search provided this page: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/default/get-out.

Midway down the page, it states "Once you have made the required nine payments, your loans will no longer be in default."

Here's another page with similar information: http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/collections/federal-loans/getting-out-of-default-federa....

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@expatCanuck wrote:

No experience here, but a Google search provided this page: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/default/get-out.

Midway down the page, it states "Once you have made the required nine payments, your loans will no longer be in default."

Here's another page with similar information: http://www.studentloanborrowerassistance.org/collections/federal-loans/getting-out-of-default-federa....

ah thank you!

Message 3 of 15
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Hi Sasha! My experience was that after the 9th month they moved my two student loans in default to a new lender so from ECMC to Navient. They lowered the APR and monthly payment but I didn’t owe much at that time and just paid in full once they were moved. They reported as current and when paid closed but marked as paid. They removed the derogatory information too. It was like getting a clean slate going through the loan rehabilitation. 

Your lender will will send you a letter with all of this information and where they’ll moved the loan if they do moved them. There might be a month or so where you don’t have to pay while the loans get moved and the new lender will send you a new due date too.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shoegal wrote:

Hi Sasha! My experience was that after the 9th month they moved my two student loans in default to a new lender so from ECMC to Navient. They lowered the APR and monthly payment but I didn’t owe much at that time and just paid in full once they were moved. They reported as current and when paid closed but marked as paid. They removed the derogatory information too. It was like getting a clean slate going through the loan rehabilitation. 

Your lender will will send you a letter with all of this information and where they’ll moved the loan if they do moved them. There might be a month or so where you don’t have to pay while the loans get moved and the new lender will send you a new due date too.

awesome thank you! 

im trying to get all my info and ducks in a row while we're in this "quiet waiting period" with the house haha..

Message 5 of 15
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@shoegal wrote:

awesome thank you! 

im trying to get all my info and ducks in a row while we're in this "quiet waiting period" with the house haha..

Because you're applying for a mortgage I want to clarify so that it doesn't freak you out -

When the loans move to a new servicer it will create new accounts on your CR. The old student loan accounts will be closed and derogatory payment status removed; the lates however, will remain. When the loan accounts show up on CR the opening date should be backdated to the date the prior loans were opened.

Hopefully, your mortgage lender knows that your loans are in rehab (and what the process entails) so they don't get concerned when the new accounts pop up on your report if you're still going through the approval process when that happens.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@shoegal wrote:

awesome thank you! 

Because you're applying for a mortgage I want to clarify so that it doesn't freak you out -

When the loans move to a new servicer it will create new accounts on your CR. The old student loan accounts will be closed and derogatory payment status removed; the lates however, will remain. When the loan accounts show up on CR the opening date should be backdated to the date the prior loans were opened.

Hopefully, your mortgage lender knows that your loans are in rehab (and what the process entails) so they don't get concerned when the new accounts pop up on your report if you're still going through the approval process when that happens.

actually i forgot to tell her about that but.. if any of that does happen ,of course i have all my paperwork and can just be like uh sorry totally forgot!  but also its on auto draft so its on my checking account statements 

Message 7 of 15
Yuruke
Established Member

@shoegal wrote:

hi shoegal, just a quick question for you. Did the derogatory accounts get deleted from your reports after rehab? My rehab is set to be done this month and for some reason US Dept of Edu (or maybe the CRA?) deleted my derogatory accounts on TU & EQ already last month but they haven't been deleted on EX so I was just curious if finishing the rehab would get them to delete those accounts? Did they for you? 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

so today 4/30 i got a notice from the dept of ed that they removed my account from the preauthorized debit program! no explanation why... it gives me their # to call however anytime i try to call it refers me to Performant? but thats not who my loan servicer is.. i go through myeddebt.ed.gov and their website has been down for like 2 weeks now so how the heck am i supposed to make the last 2 payments of my rehab arrangement!?
😢😡
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

so i found my original paperwork for my student loan rehab app and it has the national service center payment address on it so i will mail a payment today.. but i STILL want to know why they randomly cancelled my auto draft in my 8th month! i will be including my THIRD complaint letter with my payment! 😂 ... Dept of Ed has the worst customer service ive ever encountered! its like they want you to fail loan rehab!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.