Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does it fall off?

tag
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

When does it fall off?

I completed rehab of my SLs in 2016 and everything has been great thus far in terms of positive reporting of payment and such.  When I look at the old loans (which are closed but still showing under negative on my reports), I see the date of last activity 3/2012; and last updated 7/2016.  Which am I counting FROM for removal?  Am I counting from 3/2012 or 7/2016?  I'm hoping its the 3/2012 because I wanted to attempt an early removal.  Not sure if that's even possible but since I plan to app for a mortgage this summer it would be great if they could be removed.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

18 REPLIES 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: When does it fall off?

What are the specific derogs that were reported, and what were their dates of occurence?

Message 2 of 19
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

They are past due derogs from 5/2012 to 3/2013.  All accounts were closed and rehabbed but the negative reporting remained and from my understanding, does not have to be removed at all.  I just can't figure out where to begin the clock for the removal.  Not sure if it starts at last day of activity (3/2012) OR last reported.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

When SL are rehabbed, the negative accounts that have been reporting collections currently will be removed.  The original accounts showing on the report before it was transferred/closed will remain for 7 years.  

Message 4 of 19
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

Correct. It's DOFD. Prestige and Robert can back me here in saying it should be 7years + up to 180 days from summer 2012 based on what you provided.

Message 5 of 19
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Sad guess I have another year to go then

Message 6 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Derogs on federal student loans are exempted from the credit report exclusion provisions of the FCRA until the loan is paid.

Message 7 of 19
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

@Robert   Are you saying that the derogs will stay on the credit report for another 20 years?

Message 8 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They can stay until the loan is paid.... then the normal exclusion provisions of the FCRA apply.

See, for example, the Higher Education Act of 1965; section 463(c)(2)(C), which states with respect to the credit report exclusion provisions of the FCRA:

"Notwithstanding paragraphs (4) and (5) of subsection (a) of section 605 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (15 U.S.C. 1681c (a)(4), (a)(5)), a consumer reporting agency may make a report containing information received from the Secretary or an institution regarding the status of a borrower’s account on a loan made under this part until the loan is paid in full."

Message 9 of 19
topgunvf
Regular Contributor

WOW. Thank you Robert! I thought for sure if in rehab and completely successful bringing out of default that the clock started for your lates before rehab. That’s a horse of a different color! Thank you sir!
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.