cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When late student loan payments age off my credit report, will my credit score go up or down?

tag
Knice86
Valued Member

When late student loan payments age off my credit report, will my credit score go up or down?

Quick background:

-I have late student loan payments on my credit report which will age off my credit report in 2 years.

-The accounts referenced above are also my oldest lines of credit by a long shot, 16 years old.   All other credit accounts are less than 4 years old.

- I have consolidated my student loans with a different lender to make one single payment per month a few years ago.

- I presume since I no longer have student loan accounts with the original lender, when my late payments age out, the accounts will no longer exist on my credit report reducing my average age of accounts from 9 years to 3-4 years as well as my oldest account metrics.

Normally most people would be happy when student loan late payments fall of their report but I feel like my score may drop due to the reduced weight of late payments over time combined with my AAOA significantly dropping.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: When late student loan payments age off my credit report, will my credit score go up or down?

Late payments fall off at seven years, but accounts stay on your reports for 10 years, so you should have three more years after the late pays are gone to help with the age of accounts.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.