cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a student loan always report negative after a missed payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will a student loan always report negative after a missed payment?

My understanding is that most negative account info falls off of your credit report after 7 years.  

My fiancee has a student loan.  She will be paying on this thing forever - like 10 years or something.

When she was first supposed to start paying she apparently missed a payment.  So, now the account shows up as a negative factor on her credit reports.  This missed payment was like 3 years ago.  

Let's say she continues to pay on time for the next 4 years, will the account still count negatively even after the missed payment is 7 prior just because the account is still active?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will a student loan always report negative after a missed payment?

My understanding is that while that tradeline will still be reported since it's still open the late payment will fall off 7 years from the date of the late payment. If I'm wrong hopefully someone with more experience will correct me. Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will report as a clean, positive line after 7 years 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. Thanks folks!
Message 4 of 5
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

The missed payment will fall off in 7 years but the tradeline will stay , after 2 years of no missed payments it will have little to no affect on her scoring.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.