Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting student Loans after Bankruptcy

tag
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

getting student Loans after Bankruptcy

So I am wanting to advance my career and get an education. Luckily I have a job that I can basically earn a degree while working (caregiving graveyard). 

I am wanting to pursue a degree in the medical field, as I am working as a caregiver now and I really enjoy working with people. I haven't decided to go Behavioural Human Sciences or to go Registered Nursing. Either way I would advance in the job field I have worked for the past 2.5 years. 

So I am going to go the online route because of how I can work and take classes at the same time. 

I have taken 2 classes at a local community college that I paid out of pocket for, but I didn't get the best of grades and would not like to put that on my transcript, I.E. just retake the classes at a different college, so I'm starting out fresh. How do I go about getting funding for classes? My job will give me a Raise for getting a CNA but they will not pay for it. I have looked around my area and there isn't a job that offers tuition assistance. 

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

Re: getting student Loans after Bankruptcy

When it comes to getting tuition assistance from an employer you need to be working for a medium to large employer.  In the medical field that would be a hospital.  The rules for most tuition assistance programs are strict though.  There are GPA requirements.  You also have to pay for the class(es) up front and then when you finish the semester submit the transcript for reimbursement.  That is how they ensure you do the work.  Another requirement is you have to sign an employment agreement which is usually 1:1.  For every year of classes they pay for you owe them a year of employment.  That keeps you from getting them to pay for your degree then going somewhere else.  

The next issue is nursing school:  the competition is very high and you cannot get mediocre grades and graduate.  It is also not online.  It is very hands on and in the classroom with the last year being clinical rotations in the hospitals and clinics.  Make sure what ever program you enroll in is CAAHEP accredited if it is not a BSN program.  DO NOT under any circumstances get a 2 year or LPN degree.  Only a handful of states even still use them and most states offer no reciprocity and do not recognize it as a nursing degree.  

Message 2 of 3
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

Re: getting student Loans after Bankruptcy

@Cowboys4Life thanks for those tips, my local univeristy is CAAHEP accreditted so I should be fine there. The total cost for the program is around 25k, I don't have much experience working with this kind of stuff, so I am really wondering where do I start with getting funding for this? What would be the best option in my position to start college funding.

The first class I am going to take, to dip my toes in is a CNA course, as it will give me a good raise ($3/hr) and will let me see if this is something I want to do. The cost of the course is $750 and I could easily fit the class in my schedule. Looking over my budget I really could only pay for half the class out of pocket by the time the money is due.

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.