cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"claim filed w govt" vs "permanently assignment to govt"

tag
clover

"claim filed w govt" vs "permanently assignment to govt"

Are they two different things? Claim filed w govt does not mean you owe money to govt? I see the " claim filed w govt " notation and "transferred for recovery" on Experian.

Is "permanent assigned" a notation other credit telling agencies use?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: "claim filed w govt" vs "permanently assignment to govt"

Those are both terms that apply to federal student loans.

It refers either to a creditor seeking payment from the government on a federally insured student loan, or that the government (Dept of Education) hass obtained rights to pursue collection of the delinquent loan.

I assume that you currently have a delinquent federal student loan that is either with a credtor but insured by the U.S. government, or that you have a federal student loan that has been referred to Dept of Ed for payment of the remaining balance.

What are the details of the current status of your federal student loan?

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Claim filed with the govt means that the govt will pay your debt and then they are coming after you for the defaulted loans. So the defaulted one(s) will close and then new ones will be opened for collection purposes (probably what permanently assigned for recovery means). Expect that the next thing will be a tax refund offset or maybe wage garnishment if you don’t go into their rehab program right away.
Message 3 of 16
clover

So the loan was taken out in 1999 with Key Bank. I had one co-signer. I got sick w cancer the year before finishing college. I kept paying until March 2013. That same month it got charged off from Key Bank. SSEPTEMBER 2013, it was notated as "claim filed w govt" and "transferred to recovery".

But all along I never got tax refund garnished!. My income has been LOW. Now MARCH 2019, I started receiving SSDI. I am worry that they will garnish from my SSDI. It is only 990.

I ask myself:

-Why did they not ever garnish from my tax refund?? My monthly income since charge off was even lower than my new $990 SSDI payment.
-Did they settle the matter with my cosigner?
-Will they come after me now though they never garnished from my tax refund.
Message 4 of 16
clover

Please read new response. It is somewhat old since 2013...
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh; if it’s a private loan I’m not sure they can take your tax return, but I’m not sure. You may have better luck with this in the student loan forum.
Message 6 of 16
clover

Thanks for the referral
Message 7 of 16
clover

What student loan forums do you know yo can refer to? I don't think you mean something issue myFico?
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would check with the National Student Loan Database, NSLDS, website. Once you look there, you can tell us is it's listed, which would make it Dept of Education aid.
The advice on how to handle it if it's private vs federal is completely different. Federal loans don't go away in their own (sounds like you have a great case for discharge due to possible disability?) And if it were a private loan it might be beyond the SOL.
Please check and update us.

NSLDS website:
https://nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/
Message 9 of 16
calyx
Super Contributor

Definitely check out the NSLDS website to see who currently has the loan - it could be a servicer or guarantor.

Was this an FFEL loan?  "Back in the day"  private banks issued student loans that were guaranteed by the feds, so even though it sounds like it was a private bank, it could still be a federal loan.  I would probably also contact the loan servicer/guarantor to see what the status of the loan is.  As Sabii noted, it sounds like you may be able to get it discharged through disability.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.