Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

re could cry about student loan debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

re could cry about student loan debt

Now that school is over.. the payment is 800 dollars a month.. looks like I will we working a second job for awhile. Boy I wish I was smarter about this... 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gibeon
Established Contributor

Re: re could cry about student loan debt

You can always apply for an income-based repayment plan!

23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 2 of 5
ddemari
Super Contributor

OP- what kind of student loans do you have? I have Federal and private all serviced through Navient. If you have Federal student loans, they have many many options for you and love nothing more than working with a borrower who is in good terms with them.

If you have SallieMae private loans, they are not very nice and want you to pay what you must pay. Now if you really need to do this, you can... Go online and fill out an interest only payment plan which covers you for 2 years. Your payments are basically only paying interest and no princable but say they want you to pay 600 dollars on private, you can probably get it down to 280. 

If these are through Navient. Log into their website and click on each type of loans repayment options. 

Message 3 of 5
ddemari
Super Contributor

also, as long as you don't just blow them off you will be fine. I too wanted to cry once I had to start repayment. I have been giving them 1400 dollars a month now for 2 years. 8 more years to go. Just keep in touch with them and if you are going to have a problem, call them. they want to work with you even if they are salliemae lenders. 

one of my friends was in dyer straights with salliemae and spent a grueling 2 hours on the phone with a rep. who made her get out a pen and paper and create a budget. then he went on to brow beat her about what she was spending on. after back and forth, they reached no agreement (she has a co-signer) they will just go after her dad. but if these loans are in your name, I firmly believe they will try a little bit to work with you. just dont ever default and like i said before, if its a must do the interest based repayment plan for 2 years. but except your loas to be in repayment for many extra years. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

No private loans all fed... Because my husband and I filed together last year they wont lower it. But I defiantly want to pay them back... and the only reason I would get a second job at this time is because I have a car payment... also trying to save for a house... the car payment will soon end...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.