cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

student loan US Dept. ED. closed. How to remove or make better???

tag
pilot92

student loan US Dept. ED. closed. How to remove or make better???

Hello everyone, 

This is my first time trying to fix my credit and I need some good advice from a few people that know how all this works to get an increase in my score.

I had a student loan from the US Dept. of Education in1995 and only made a few payments in the beginning then it dropped off my radar.  I paid off a couple accounts on my credit report in 2013 and I am not sure if this is one of them.  How should I procede to try and get a favorable result?

I will post the actual details as they appear in the "REMARKS ON ACCOUNTS" section only.  It looks like the account is closed.  

Can I dispute it is mine or say I thought I paid it with the condition to remove it but it didn't get removed or???????

This is almost all I have on my report.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: student loan US Dept. ED. closed. How to remove or make better???

I don't think you will have much success disputing the account especially since you are not sure if you even paid it. First you need to find out if it was actually paid or not. Creditors are under no obligation to remove accurate information (even if we would like them to). If it has been paid you can try to goodwill the account, otherwise all you can do is wait until it falls off. If it is not paid ask about rehabing the loan (note even if falls off your report and you did not actually pay it, a unpaid federal student loan can prevent you from getting certain mortgages)
Message 2 of 3
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Re: student loan US Dept. ED. closed. How to remove or make better???

Hi pilot:

You can go to the National Student Loan Data System and find all of your federal student loans, what their current status is, and who the servicing provider is.  The website is:  https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/

I suggest checking here to see if you actually paid off that student loan.  Based on the status, it's likely that you have not.  In that case, I would recommend going through the rehabilitation program so that you can get the Charge Off status removed from that account.  It will also give you a new tradeline with good payment history.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.