Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is best place to apply for private student loan in PA

tag
justgetitdone
Valued Member

where is best place to apply for private student loan in PA

I need to apply for private student loans to cover cost beyond federal stafford loans.

I do not have a co signer and my credit report is not that great.  a few charge offs 3 years ago.  no late payments since then.

I am looking to borrow 6,000 for this year and 6,000 for next year (my senior year).  I have to find a way to get the funds to complete my degree.

any advice is appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: where is best place to apply for private student loan in PA

I would shop around for the best interest rate, and start with lenders you have an existing relationship with.  That's probably your bank or credit union.  Does your school's financial aid department have any leads?  Some schools have relationships with particular lenders.

Now would also be a good time to consider if continuing your education immediately is the best plan for you.  Private student loans don't have the same protections as federal loans, and are very difficult to handle if something goes wrong and you cannot make your payments.  If you've exhausted your federal loans, you've probably already got a substantial debt burden, are you going to be able to comfortably make those payments when you graduate?  If not, can you do something to avoid the need for more loans?  Like taking a semester off to work and apply for scholarships?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.