Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2018 Check-In Thread

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

April 2018 Check-In Thread

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforeseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a Kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: April 2018 Check-In Thread

Still suffering the backlash of my overspend for christmas, keeping me from progressing upward, its sorta sideways until that last 3k is paid off, but whatever.  June/July should be back under 10 percent

I got a lot done this March, consolidated my capital one cards, got me some sweet upgrade/CLI love here and there, and chopped off the comenity branch of my bonsai tree.

All is going according to plan. 

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My goal this year is 670 across the board. TU recently went to 700+ and woke up this morning to find my EQ went from 640s to 670. Now, if only EX would do the same! I wasn't expecting any movement on EX or EQ until later this year, so I only complained for a minute Smiley LOL Looking forward to what does happen when the same bad account is removed from them. Currently in the garden and requesting only SP CLIs.

ETA: Amex hasn't reported my new account yet, so those scores will come down some. I hope those points will return to reach my goal again!

Message 3 of 25
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

I'm new to the forums with a starting FICO EX score of 589 (I know, I know- work in progress). My goal is 700 across the board by end of year. I'm confident that's possible thanks to all of the amazing feedback in these forums! I have 1 active secured CC ($300) reporting to my file as of February 2018 and was recently approved for the Discover IT secured CC ($200) account. Once that begins reporting, i'm hoping to see another lift. I have one late payment from Jan 18 that i've corrected (now on autopay). The real work comes in with my overall credit profile: 23 late payments, 42% utilization (due to a charge off account with Capital One that I will pay off this month), AAoA at 7 years 8 mos, and roughly 15 negative student loan accounts reporting a $0 balance. I have started sending GW letters and hope to figure out how to leverage requesting an Early Exclusion request or two. 

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

April Check-in:

Goals and updates:

1a). Continue saving 12% of income. Check

1b). Look at depositing part of what I've already saved into a higher yield CD, maybe NFCU's Special 15-month at 2.25% Check

2a). Continue paying that extra $100 per month on my highest student loan balance. Discontinued. Goal of loan being above water is accomplished

2b).  Pay off my lowest student loan balance, which is less than $350 now. Stricken from plan. 

3). No credit apps. Looking to get a ruby spade in December 2018   Failed, tried apping for 3 cards in March. All denied. 

4). Pay down utilization. Making good progress. All balances but one went down in March, and should again this month. All cards in sock drawer, and only a couple have recurring charges (Netflix, myFICO, etc).

Enjoy the Spring weather everyone!

Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

19eighty5:

I am right there with you. My starting scores are EX 599 TU 602 EQ 609 and that is up from the high 500s from January. I have one Capital One platinum with 300cl, one capital one quicksilver with 300 cl, and one credit bank with 400cl. I am thinking of getting the secured Discover IT card as well to round out my cards for now while building. I have 7 accounts in collections, all but 3 are paid. The last three are being negotiated for a settlement. I have several closed paid collections from 2008-2012 when times got tough. I send out gw letters this week as well. I have three 90+ day reports on three student loan accounts from years back but all are current as of right now. Hoping to get the lates removed. I finally got my utilization down to 28% this month. Our siggys are pretty similar so heres to credit building buddies. CHeers!

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My goals right now revolve around getting appoved for a mortgage. So here goes:

1) Get all unpaid collections paid by 5/1/18 On my way. I have paid off/settled on 5/8 of my unpaid collections

2) Get old paid collections removed with GW letters. There are three accounts I am focused on. I send out GW letters to student loan servicer to get late payments on three accounts removed. One letter to Get It Now to have a volentary repo removed. One to a paid creditor to remove collection account.

3) Get two accounts that are past SOL removed. I sent letters to both collection agencies. Waiting to hear back. Requested debt validation and proof the accounts were not past SOL. I know both are so waiting for them to make a decision to remove the accounts. 

4) Maintain less than 10% utilization on Rev accounts. I am at 28% which is down from 53% last month. Hoping by next statement date Utilization will be >10%

5) Get mortgage scores up to 640. Work in progress

Message 7 of 25
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

• Gardening continued - success 
  • Inquiry removal - fail (haven't attempted)
  • Secured card CLI - fail ($ allocated to savings)
  • Savings - success
  • Frugality - success
  • FICO Score Goal of 750+ across the board hit early (..in February) !!
  • CLI surprise from Chase (on my only toy card $500-$2000)
  • Sent you all positive wishes for your positive intentions!

Spaced out on my March check-in... Smiley Surprised

Amex Plat | Amex EDP $24,000 | Citi BestBuy Visa $11,000 | Chase Freedom $7500 | Discover IT $7500 | Amex BCE $5,000 | Merrick Bank Visa $2000 | Alliant SSL
Starting Score: Fico 8: EQ 721 TU 742 EX 736
Current Score: Fico 8: EQ 746 TU 764 EX 756
Goal Score: Fico 8: EQ 750+ TU 760 EX 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 25
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

@buildingafuture Pretty darn identical indeeed! Wishing you all the sucess on your journey and looking forward to May's check-in. Let us know if you're successful in getting those student loan lates removed- that is one of my priorities.

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just joined and starting. 

I have a bunch of collections that are old, and some that are old that keep showing up as new debt that I need to fix somehow. 

Trying to get to 750.

I have 4 credit accounts, all 0. And 2 small loans, never late. Stuck at low 600's. 

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.