Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2021 Check In Thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: April 2021 Check In Thread

Just starting my repair journey. Looking at purchasing a home in the next 6 months or so. My credit took a nosedive midway through 2018 and we've been on the road to repair every since. Climbed from the 400's to the high 500's in 2019 and with my trusty little secured Discover, we're now in the 600's.

Since that card graduated w a CLI in January, we have added 3 more low limit cards that are just used for monthly bills and myFICO memberships and paid off every cycle. 

I've only been a member here a few days, but I've learned to keep Disco as my daily driver if i want to see some substantial CLI's. Also learned its not always in our best interest to settle collections, even if they PFD if they are tied to a charge off. This tidbit has adjusted my April game plan just a bit.

1) Get on payment play with MRS to pay off a small Cap One charge off. I was really in the midst of clicking the settlement button when I realized, A) MRS isnt showing as a collector on my report and B) I would still have the remaining balance show up on my CR, affecting my revolving credit usage. I will admit, that 40% discount almost got me and if it was showing as a collection, I probably would have taken the bait.

2) Set up payment plan with TD Bank/Target. I realize it wont ever leave my report, but it will bring my utilization down and also show underwriters that I am capable of paying debts in full (another tasty tip I learned from my forum jedi.) I owe $790 so will try to work out a plan that gives me 3-4 months to pay it off. It may seem like a small debt, but I am also trying to save for a house and pay down balances on other debts as well. 

3) Pay off WIlliam and Fudge. Its a $300 debt and I think seeing even a little score boost would give me the incentive to tackle a few more. I am attempting to climb out of deliquent debt by using the snowball method. Knocking the little guys out of the way and putting the money I would towards those monthly to take a bite out of the biguns. 

I have more on my list, but I think 3 tasks is enough for April. If I knock those out, I'll loop in some of my May goals! 

Message 21 of 31
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

I've been gone for quite some time, but while searching for info today (on Discover More cards vs Discover It cards), I ended up here. And I'm glad I did!

My absence wasn't intentional or due to a lack of interest, I simply got really ill and everything came to a screeching halt. I'm now back to being online all day, every day, and am happy to be here. My illness cost me dearly, and I mean that in every way you can imagine, not the least of which was financially--I had over $100,000 in out-of-pocket expenses. Ouch!

Thank goodness I had my credit and finances in good order prior to that happening. I can't imagine what it would've been like to be unprepared for a catastrophe like that.

I'm very pleased to say that my FICO score is at its highest ever right now, in the high 820s. That makes me feel really good about the hard work I put in over the years to handling my finances responsibly, you know?

Hope you're all well, happy, and doing great in this crazy pandemic! Smiley Happy
Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 22 of 31
Raison
Established Member

Im getting there.  Still watching the scores rise. I went in the garden for about 6 months came out and headed back. Working on paying things off and tackling the collections. Getting there though. Hope everyone is enjoying the spring weather!!!

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

SoCalGardener stay well now! You will be around to enjoy the benefits of MF Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am new to this challenge and starting right here and right now. I am excited with potential and possibilities. I am looking to build a house in the near future and purchase my first luxury vehicle!

As you are working your way into the credit world take a look at some of the posting in the MF Forum for items of interest. May even pick up on a dark horse. Seems every now and then a special card comes along Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Looking for a few posters to liven up the springy month of April! We remember that "April showers bring May flowers".

What is your outlook for this new month? Tell us here. Smiley Happy

In tending my garden 🪴, we here in SoCal are always grateful for whatever APR showers 🌧🌦 we can get. I realized I'd achieved actually two of goals, had only expressed them in my siggie but hadn't chime in here in the FICO Fitness 💪🏼 Challenge updates thread. 

I joined her EOM FEB and cited my sort of arbitrary CS improvement goals for the then next few months and year. But I say they were arbitrary because I really didn't know what was feasible to accomplish with good behavior in a few months through to the end of the year. 

I've achieved both hitting 670 ✅ by MAY and 675 ✅ by JUN in APR with Experian. I want that 675 to be across the board. TU is slouching centimeter by centimeter to 670. I suspect with the increment of time and good PIF's still carrying a small balance or two will put me over 670 it not 675 early on in MAY. 

I additionally set a goal if 700. I think that's actually feasible this summer and hitting maybe 710, 715 this year. 

For the most part, 750 this year may be out of reach. But it's worth the stretching towards it! 

Message 26 of 31
RA26
New Contributor

It was what felt like a long month, but yet I cannot believe we are almost through April. 

So far I am meeting the schedule I have set up for myself to knock out my smaller balances by the end of the year. I'm actually one month ahead. 

I haven't paid off the current cc I'm working on, but I am scheduled to pay it off on the 30th. One month earlier, then planned. Knocking my overall utilization down to 78.1% from 81% back in March. 

However, currently we are throwing more money into savings than towards are debt to help pay for some things this summer, as our dog needed to be seen in an emergency and took about half our fund that we were using for this summer needed travel and transport. We're waiting on the pet insurance to see if we're getting anything back from there. The hope is yes.  Still little steps at a time and we didn't need to use credit for the dogs emergency and currently we are on par not to have to use credit for this summer either. Win Win. 

Starting Score: 633
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 31
Caramelhunnyva
New Contributor

Still hanging in there. Paying off CC's-payed off one this month, close to paying off another.  Saving money and paying  bills on time.  

Starting Score: 499
Current Score: 640
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 28 of 31
Caramelhunnyva
New Contributor

Tricie17

If I can give you some encouragement.  I was in the same place, collections and poor credit score.  It took a little time, focusing on the goal of being debt free...the process can be frustrating while on the journey. I would suggest a credit builder CC or a small loan to help increase your score.  I had to stay away from some threads/posts also just for my own mental health.  After I started seeing the progress, I could venture out and see what other people were doing to build credit and get out of debt.  Do what's best for you but stay on the journey, despite the challenges you face!

Starting Score: 499
Current Score: 640
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have to say I am glad that I found the gardening club...I just got notified that I am a member of the 700 club 🎉🥳.

E-699, Exp-710, T-704.

I am sitting back and watching my garden grow for the summer! 

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.