Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Check In Thread

tag
Huds0nvalleygirl

Re: August Check In Thread

@Shogun wrote:

@Huds0nvalleygirl wrote:

Hello -- I am new here.  I am really happy that I have begun this journey toward excellent Credit.  I continue to make much better decisions concerning my personal finances each day. My score is not where I want it to be but I have faith that I will reach my goal thru persistence and patience.  Smiley Happy

I'm certain you will too.  So get in here and get your feet wet!

Thank you for the encouragement.  I am ready to get my feet wet! Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 582
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 30
Huds0nvalleygirl

I am eagerly looking forward to learning from all of you Credit-healthy people! Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 582
Goal Score: 800

Message 22 of 30
jeremy032180
Established Member

@Shogun wrote:

@jeremy032180 wrote:

I'm still sitting at 663.  I tried leaving a 5% balance on my cc and it seemed to do nothing.  Next month I'll try leaving 7% and see what that does.  

Right now I have one secured card and 1 auto loan under 5k.  I get a lot of mail from credit card companies like American Express, Citi, etc.  I could use a new computer so I'm tempted to get a card at Best Buy or even a Visa/Amex/etc but I'm scared the limit will be low (I make 40k a year) and I'm scared of what the ding on my cr will take.

You will take a ding, but those dings are necessary.  If you have a thin file, it doesn't let your CR grow as much.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.  Any suggestions on what kind of credit I should apply for as far as 'real' credit card like Amex/Visa/Mastercard vs a retail store card like Dell or Best Buy?

Starting Score: EQ - 618
Current Score: EQ - 663 TU - 668
Goal Score: 750

Message 23 of 30
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@jeremy032180 wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

@jeremy032180 wrote:

I'm still sitting at 663.  I tried leaving a 5% balance on my cc and it seemed to do nothing.  Next month I'll try leaving 7% and see what that does.  

Right now I have one secured card and 1 auto loan under 5k.  I get a lot of mail from credit card companies like American Express, Citi, etc.  I could use a new computer so I'm tempted to get a card at Best Buy or even a Visa/Amex/etc but I'm scared the limit will be low (I make 40k a year) and I'm scared of what the ding on my cr will take.

You will take a ding, but those dings are necessary.  If you have a thin file, it doesn't let your CR grow as much.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.  Any suggestions on what kind of credit I should apply for as far as 'real' credit card like Amex/Visa/Mastercard vs a retail store card like Dell or Best Buy?

Well, I can tell you how I started, and it exploded from there.  I started with a GE card, Walmart to be exact.  I used it and paid it off monthly, plus I got my free monthly TU FICO 08.  Then I got another GE card, Lowes.  I shop there and I got 5% off at the register for using the card.  Again, used it and paid it off.  I gardened these for a few months, then the offers from other companies were hitting my mailbox daily.

It will be a year next month since I started with that first GE card.  Now I have well over $60K in CCs with a 2% util.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 24 of 30
himynameis

Well I haven't been keeping up on posting my progress for the challenge but I have been working on it very hard the last months. I have to say I'm very proud of myself for getting as far as I have in such a short time. I'm 8 months post Bankruptcy and before the BK I was at high 400's or low 500's at best across the board. Now, I'm not as high as I'd like to be but I know I'm making progress. 515 EQ 552 TU and 648 EX (pulled by CU). I have A LOT of work to do but I've opened 2 credit cards - one being UNSECURED with a $500 CL with my CU - which I think is awesome! I had it secured with a deposit of $200 and this past month got them to graduate it and increase my limit. Whoo hoo! Go me! And besides that, I had one of my auto loans refinanced from 18% to 9.25% at a local CU. After only 6 payments Smiley Happy Better news is today I was approved for 7.24% refi on our second auto loan which was at a whopping 23.99%!!!!! This was only after 4 payments! I'm so excited! So now to sit and let it grow because my next goal is a mortgage approval!

Starting Score: TU488 EQ470 EXFAKO585
Current Score: TU552 EQ515 EXFAKO598 EX648CUpull
Goal Score: TU620 EQ620 EX675

Message 25 of 30
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@himynameis

You have done an excellent job!  Keep it up and you'll be in that new home in no time!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 26 of 30
makeupho
New Contributor

hi all...
i finally got one of mine above 700, but still working on the other 2. i'm happy that EX is on myfico now.
i need to call TU because they say I was late on a payment 2 yrs 1 month ago, but nothing in my individual accts reflects that.
we have 6 pymts left on a 5yr BK13. it's nice to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. hopefully next summer we will be able to replace both of our cars and get into a 30yr fixed mortgage.

Ch13 filed 3/2009 : discharged 1/2014
Starting 2/16/2013:
EQ673 TU667
Current 6/3/2018: EX816 EQ806 TU820
Goal: 850

Message 27 of 30
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

a little late for august check in but oh well. 

Firstly, ill be working on util from now until the future. (my goal is too pay everything off) 

as of the 30th of this month ill have no inquries under a year. 1 new account in december(but no pull was used) 

ill be gardening until jan anyways. (where then my old inquries from last year will start too fall off. 

happy fitness challenge everyone. 

stay strong. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 28 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Boy, I almost missed checking in! My scores are going up due to inq's/accts aging and util dropping. I added a few TLs as an AU but other than that no new inq's for me.
Message 29 of 30
jdl3
Established Member

Im a little late on the August check in but here is my current progress.  Got a deletion from all CR's for two collections which were paid to the origional creditor

Lower CC utl to 33%, currently at 82%

Continue to GW closed collections which are paid in full

2 charge off student loans with Keybank which are 10k total and making 300 mo payments

Current credit cards are Capital one plat: BAL 1535, credit limit 2000

Discovercard: BAL 2700, Credit limit 3000

Its a work in progress but im up for the challenge.  Gotta concentrate on my CC utilization next.

Thanks to all for their great advice and knoweldge. 

Starting Score: EXP 621, EQF 558, TU 570
Current Score: EXP 661, EQF 661, TU 644
Goal Score: 700 across the board

Goal: 700's across the board
starting 7/27, exp 627 equif 558 Trans 570
12/17/13 exp 640 equif 593 Trans 626 lender pull

Wallet: Capitalone Plat, Amex Blue, Amex Corp, Discovercard

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.