Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2019 - Check-in Thread

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

February 2019 - Check-in Thread

Hello_February_Hearts.jpg

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! 

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: February 2019 - Check-in Thread

Things are still on track for me reaching my 775 goal.
EQ is just 1 point away, TU and EX are within reach. Steady away for the next 5 months and I'll see where I'm at.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 35
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Checking in for February.  I just did a last post on Jan. but need to post here too.  Probably need to post daily to keep the goal fresh in my mind but once a month will suffice.  This month my goal is to stay on top of report dates, due dates, and utilise these new cards to benefit our wallet and scores to the best possible way.  I'm not sure exactly what is best but I'm starting to figure it all out.  I'm in the Garden, that's priority one, building patience, knowledge, and waiting for the cli's to start rolling in, hahaha, maybe trickle in is priority two.....but that's okay, 6 months ago I had the credit of a turd so today I can say, I stink less.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 35
sportsguy83
Regular Contributor

Checking in for February.  Decided to take out a 401K loan to pay off my AMEX and its 29.99% (!!!) interest rate last month.  In doing so reduced my overall utilization by 7% and monthly payments by $200+.  This will be a LONG journey but at least it is off to a good start.  Should be able to make another good dent this month with my tax return.  Struggling a bit with whether I should pay off the accounts with the highest interest rate first (saves the most money) or get all cards below 69% (FICO score bump).  But I have plenty of time to figure that out as those are the same right now...

Beginning Rebuilding - February 2022

Current Scores - June 2023

Goal Scores - January 2024

Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goal updates for 2019.

1. Maxing out 2018 IRA. (~1500 remaining) ~100 remaining

2. Max out 2019 IRA. (6k)

3. Get my emergency savings where I want (~2k more) ~100 more

4. Save enough extra to max 2020 IRA on Jan 1, 2020. (6k) Continue to try to hit max IRA on day 1 into the future.

5. No additional cards in 2019. (0% AMEX BCE thru 2019) Good Here

6. Continue PIF statement balance on all cards except 0% rates.Good Here

7. Dispute 1 HP that was fraudulent and dispute lates from student loans that I received forbearances during the timeframe of lates.

8. Get my net worth to be a non-negative number. (have never been positive since college)

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys! 🙋🏽‍♀️
Just checking in for February. I am down to my last 1.5 derogatories since last month. I say 1.5 because one of them has been half-way cleared. Basically, I've been fighting this tiny medical collection. My attorney drafted a letter to the bureaus late December. The collection was showing on two bureaus and the collection agency delivered two different responses. To EX they sent a response that the collection had been paid by my insurance and deleted the account. To EQ they sent a response that the debt was still valid and unpaid. This is pretty much how it has been dealing with them this past year. Every time I spoke to them it was a different rep and a different response. Attorney is fine with this and says it shows a clear violation and he will pursue and I just need to be patient. 🙄

A derogatory from Portfolio Recovery was deleted from all three bureaus last week. Woot! 👍

That just leaves a final collection from Eos CCA. It's from an old Verizon bill. It's my account but the collection has errors (amount). I have a current dispute.
These guys are not easy to deal with so even though I don't feel like I should pay the total amount, I'm up for offering to pay a fair percentage in a PFD.
Scores are climbing slowly. I did also notice that EQ has some old student loan lates added back on. Those were corrected three months ago on all three bureaus but keep popping up on EQ.

I added two unsecured cards in December that haven't posted yet. That brings my total number of cards to four and that's where I plan to stay. Four cards and an active student loan with 100% payment history (except on EQ).
Message 6 of 35
calyx
Super Contributor

I've been plugging along.
I did everything in January that I had planned (I've been spacing out my credit report repairs and updates and other things), and I even got my Taxes and car tax & reg done early (usually I do all of that in March).   
One of my derogs, set to fall off of my report in September magically disappeared from EX, so I was happy for that.

I hit my goal to have my student loan (consolidated) down to <88% by Feb.
Jan 31, I had some inquries become unscorable.
Feb 6, the next two inquiries fall off of EQ (everyone and their kitten hits EQ for me).
I plan on joining NFCU this month (just to establish a relationship with them).
I had cards prequal with USBank on 2/1 (yay!  I have a secured card with them and was using that as a barometer to guess at whether I might be able to graduate it this year).

I only had two unexpected issues this past month:
1.   Equifax decided to put an extended fraud alert on my report (and thereby all of my reports).  I know why they did it, but I did not ask or apply for it, so I have sent letters to the big three to have it removed (TU has complied so far) and

2.  My goal was to pay down my student loan 10k this year and have a positive net worth, but my car is in the shop and there's a non-zero chance I'll be buying a new car (it's 13 years old and I love it, but I'm not going to pour money into it).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 7 of 35
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@calyx wrote:

(everyone and their kitten hits EQ for me).

LOL! I hear ya, that just hit me funny Smiley Happy  kutgw

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 35
calyx
Super Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@calyx wrote:

(everyone and their kitten hits EQ for me).

LOL! I hear ya, that just hit me funny Smiley Happy  kutgw

It drives me nuts!  All accounts pull EQ and if I'm lucky, double pull EQ and EX.   At least Transunion is 'clean' (for no good reason Smiley Wink )

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am extremely surprised how my score has continued to go up, even after checking to see if I would qualify for a mortgage.  My scores have slightly gone up and I have been pre-approved for a mortgage up to $559,000!!!  Living in California is great, but housing prices suck!

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.