Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February 2021 Check-In Thread

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

February 2021 Check-In Thread

1000x700-february.jpg

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have you progressed as far as you hoped?  Were there any unforeseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a Kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! 

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: February 2021 Check-In Thread

Well here we are Kenny kicking off a new month of February 2021. Noticed UncleB posted a big Valentine to remind of sweet things.

My plan for February is to continue gardening and pay down on the remaining balance I have from putting new house windows in. Scores have held. Did find my experience with AZEO paying all balances off last year to zero and it sure did a hit on my Ficos so will stay the course this year. Wish every one a good 2021 and plan your February! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 34
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

Hello February! Happy Valentine's to all ❤️

Not much changed for me. Had to park a large balance on my discover and apparently I didn't time it right bc it reported 😡 so I lost a couple points for that but not much. Got a SP CLI on my macy's amex which is nice! Other than that, just focusing on saving and waiting for my SL lates to fall off this summer. 1 month closer! 

What do you all do when your "credit bored"? Lol I get this alot. It's a sickness. Gardening is hard!

Message 3 of 34
Technician2210
Established Member

January was a good month for me. My EXP went up to 714, TU to 697, and EQ went to 709. My mortgage scores hit EQ 657/EXP 670(!)/ TU 648. My EXP 2 score was a lousy 622 just 3 months ago. The increasewas 30 points from last month!

My new Disco card and CL hit the report. I'm using it as my AZEO card and a $5 balance posted. Good. What was not good was I left a whole $1.55 on one of my rebuilder cards that doesn't post payments in a reasonable time, so that $1 hit my report as well. So much for AZEO. Having said that, I guess my scores will go up again due to 3 inquiries falling off and an old baddie coming off as well. That baddie is on all 3 bureaus so we'll see. 

My highest point gain was 30 points on the EXP mortgage score, and the biggest loser was -3 points on the TU FICO 9 and TU Bank card 9. 

AMEX card should hit at the end of February, but I heard sometimes they don't show up for a while. I curious as to how either scenario will affect the scores. 

DEARLY DEPARTED:

NEXT UP:

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 34
Technician2210
Established Member

@Doodlebug30 wrote:

Hello February! Happy Valentine's to all ❤️

Not much changed for me. Had to park a large balance on my discover and apparently I didn't time it right bc it reported 😡 so I lost a couple points for that but not much. Got a SP CLI on my macy's amex which is nice! Other than that, just focusing on saving and waiting for my SL lates to fall off this summer. 1 month closer! 

What do you all do when your "credit bored"? Lol I get this alot. It's a sickness. Gardening is hard!

Well I have been credit bored since I can't touch anything until I get keys to the money pit in hand, so in the meantime I've been watching YouTube videos by ProudMoney and Ask Sebe, doing research on various cards I want to try to get once I'm able. 

DEARLY DEPARTED:

NEXT UP:

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 5 of 34
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

@Technician2210  that's a good idea, youtube lol. I am aiming to be in the garden until December 1, 2021. Being honest, idk if I'll make it lol that's ALL of this year 😭 I use that date bc I would like to get under 5/24 and maybe grab myself a chase card. Not sure yet... Going to be a loooong year 🤣 

Message 6 of 34
RA26
New Contributor

Things are getting organized. Trying to figure out the best way of setting things up to track and I think I finally have it a way that works for me. I'm very motivated by seeing things on paper and every little move. I'm not very good with just digital viewing. Pen to paper works the best for me.

My primary goal for the year is to pay down debt, lots of debt, mainly cc, though we have quite a bit of student loans. My utilization is at 87%  86% now I hope to get it down to 50%.  

• paying off 5 smaller balanced cards 
  • paying the rest down to the next % groupings. 

I didn't hit any goals which I honestly didn't think I would. We're trying to get caught up with a forbearanced loan which isn't happening anywhere near as quick as we wanted. Should be a little better as our income is increasing again, although it's still shy of the decrease we ended up having last June, but OT is available again. YAY! 

We have been putting more savings back and I go back and forth on if I should just throw everything at the debt or keep socking things away. I know there's a few items we will need to get in the upcoming months and I don't want to use credit for it.  

Starting Score: 633
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 700

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

RA26 you have a grasp on your financials and can feel comfort in your efforts to get yourself where you need to be!

As many posters can attest on here, credit is not a race and we seem to hit plateaus as we go. Our profiles do somewhat dictate our salvation. Using pencil and paper keeps you focused and it works. I too use that method.

It took me many years to dig out of the cellar and the journey seemed long (about eight years) which varies by a person's past so don't let that scare you. Since finding this Forum some posters find their questions answered and moral support so the journey is shorter. Best wishes as you see what needs to be done Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 34
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Hello All,

Totally forgot about it being the 1st of FebSmiley Tongue

Lost in life's happenings (not fun stuff either)

So here is my check in.

Gardening goals are on track.

Wishing everyone a great FebruarySmiley Happy

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey All! 

Coming into the month with 3 new credit accounts (Old Navy Store Card $300/Care Credit $2650/Capital One Platinum $300). 2 out of the 3 lines have already posted and increased the utilization. Bumped my scores up so far Smiley Surprised I also plan to add 2 additional jeweler accounts this month (no HP) just to increase my utilization, because I need to use the care credit for some dental work.

Going to use the Cap 1, Old Navy and another seasoned secure CC I've had but keeping any reporting balance between 10-25%. I'd like to enter the garden, but I'm in the process of joining NFCU and going to try for one of their cards before I start my gardening just to see where I stand with them. 

Hope everyone stays encouraged in whatever journey they are on. Keep you guys posted! Heart

Fico 8 EQ 598 TU 658 EX 605

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.