Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July 2019 Check In Thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: July 2019 Check In Thread

Still in the garden for a whole month!

I may hit the luv button within the next couple of months, but holding steady for now.

No plans to app ANYTHING the rest of the year. Need to age my accounts and pay down some recent charges.

Unexpected medical bills has my disco and care credit balance higher but UTI is still under 29% w/ overall under 15% so not too bad.

Message 31 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a new credit card which should help me manage to do that whole 'only one card reporting a balance thing'. Even though I've been paying my cards in full, Lendup and CreditOne take forever to acknowledge a payment. I keep trying to pay before the statement date, but, even 5 days before the statement date isn't soon enough. I paid them and my Discover all to $0 and went through my statements carefully and think I have all those little Netflix and Hulu type charges transferred to coming off the new card. 

Looking forward to August 12th, by then all my cards but one should report $0. Right now spouse has a higher score than me and that's bothering me.. lol I've always had the higher score. It's only a few points, but, hoping to beat him by a lot in August when everything is optimized.  

Message 32 of 58
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

Eleven months to go. The damage from my May app spree was minimal (May vs July: EX 0 pts, TU -8 pts, haven't checked EQ). I'm expecting good things around June 2020, when delinquencies and inquiries age off. In December I'll go for a round of CLIs. Until then, I have more than enough credit and am happily gardening.

I canceled my only store card today to get it off my CR so that it doesn't affect insurance scores (per a recent thread). The store also offers a MC, and under different circumstances I might have tried to PC, but I didn't want the HP today.

Message 33 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@VanderSnoot closed my last two store cards a couple of years ago. Did not want to feel the pressure I had to use the card or have it "Closed by Credit Grantor" because of account inactivity.
Message 34 of 58
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@VanderSnootclosed my last two store cards a couple of years ago. Did not want to feel the pressure I had to use the card or have it "Closed by Credit Grantor" because of account inactivity.

Me too guys, closed all but two visa/mc version.  Thinking about dumping the UltamateMC today but can't quite make up my mind. Do the Store MC and Visa versions affect ins. scores too?

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 35 of 58
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Me too guys, closed all but two visa/mc version.  Thinking about dumping the UltamateMC today but can't quite make up my mind. Do the Store MC version affect ins. scores too?

Store-branded MCs do not affect insurance scores; they're just co-branded credit cards, so it sounds like you're ok. The cards that affect your score are the ones that are not part of a network (MC, Visa, etc.) and can only be used at that particular store. I have a second "store card" that is a MC and was surprised when my CR showed only one "Retail Card" (I think that's the label they used). But it makes sense because the MC can be used anywhere. Having even one store card increases your insurance rates, so stick to the MC versions and you'll be fine.

Message 36 of 58
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@VanderSnoot 

Thank you for explaining.

Also, what about a home depot and lowes store card that I am an AU on?  Same neg. effect?

Message 37 of 58
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

Thank you for explaining.

Also, what about a home depot and lowes store card that I am an AU on?  Same neg. effect?

I don't know, as that doesn't affect me. You may want to do some research on it.

Message 38 of 58
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@VanderSnoot wrote:

You may want to do some research on it.

Okay, thanks....I sure will.  I may have to keep those two for utl%.

Message 39 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

New to this, looking to increase my score after a rough divorce, requiring me to file a joint BK in 2016, to not be held accountable. Score has bounced back up, and have a few cards, but looking for longevity.

Looking for tips, etc!
Message 40 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.