Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October 2018 Check-In Thread

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: October 2018 Check-In Thread

@itsnew wrote:
I’m 4 months in to gardening my score have gone up over 30 points no baddies on report and trying to focus on reducing debt.

Any other suggestions for improving scores?

Congrats on the improvement!  Really that's the ballgame.

If you don't have an installment loan you can play some FICO reindeer games with a share secured loan, but basically once you have your accounts setup you simply maintain them while reducing debt (specifically credit cards or anything with a high APR) and making sure you don't pick up any new negatives.

My failures have always been on that new negative front, I will never ever pick up any financial account that doesn't support autopay, never never never again.

        
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all -   This is my first post!   After a divorce and medical bills that resulted from breast cancer in 2012, I am trying to finally work on this.   It is work!   I always just figured i would not get any credit at all so i just ignored my bad credit and dealt with it.  In August I applied for Fingerhut Freshstart, Open Sky and Total Visa.  I also did a $500 CD through self lender.  The only credit i had was a car loan from my credit union.   In September my car began having issues so i had to apply for another car loan through my credit union.   I have a decent salary and was approved for a $42k loan.  The credit union said they could give me a better rate in a few months in my credit score improved.   She suggested i get one of their credit union visa cards.  I was tickled when i was approved for $1k.   Unfortunately the credit union only reports to Trans Union.  Happy to see my score is improving and hope to reach the 700 mark eventually!  happy to join you all...been stalking this forum for months!   Smiley Happy

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous, You are definitely on the right track. Credit unions are typically really good to you if you are really good to them. I would imagine in time your limit on the visa to increase significantly as your score goes up. Good luck with your progress.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all -   This is my first post!   After a divorce and medical bills that resulted from breast cancer in 2012, I am trying to finally work on this.   It is work!   I always just figured i would not get any credit at all so i just ignored my bad credit and dealt with it.  In August I applied for Fingerhut Freshstart, Open Sky and Total Visa.  I also did a $500 CD through self lender.  The only credit i had was a car loan from my credit union.   In September my car began having issues so i had to apply for another car loan through my credit union.   I have a decent salary and was approved for a $42k loan.  The credit union said they could give me a better rate in a few months in my credit score improved.   She suggested i get one of their credit union visa cards.  I was tickled when i was approved for $1k.   Unfortunately the credit union only reports to Trans Union.  Happy to see my score is improving and hope to reach the 700 mark eventually!  happy to join you all...been stalking this forum for months!   Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't posted in a few months but I have been working on my goals and watching as things get closer to my goals. The last time I posted was in July and my scores are below.

July Scores are

EQ 681 (even)

TU 674 (+1)

EX 708 (-2)

As of today my FICO 8 scores are

EQ -769 (+88)

TU - 761 (+53)

EX - 777 (+69)

I reached my goal of all scores above 750, it's been a long road to this point and I couldn't have done it with out everyone's help from here. My other goal was to have a total CL of over $100K, and I have reached that as well and am now sitting $105K.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there!  Just wanted to give an update on where I stand.  I had to wait until I saw something change.  But, nothing realy changed.  The only change I had was Capital One gave me a $200 credit increase to $500.  This has already been reported to the credit Bureas but nothing has changed.  Zero.  Zilch.

I tried calling Capital One back door to ask for an increase but went nowhere. 

Very disapointed.  I think my credti score formula is stuck or locked or something - because nothing is helping. 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.