Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

October Check in Thread

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

October Check in Thread

Summer is gone and fall is here!  The holidays are a few short months away and like most of you, I am budgeting for the gift giving and merriment.  Have you prepared yourself? Are you where you want to be with your debt or are you struggling to figure out away to get out of debt before you get into more debt?

I know you are all hard at work with your credit goals.  Have we progressed as far as we hoped?  Were there any unforseen expenses that cropped up and may have thrown you off schedule?

As a reminder, participation in these monthly check-ins is optional, but encouraged. The goal is to help keep you on track, so feel free to post your progress updates here. This is a no-judge zone; feel free to say what's keeping you up at night or give yourself a kudo for having it all together.

Did you hit any potholes or speedbumps? Achieve some milestones, either small or mighty? Change your goals or add new ones?

Let us know how you're doing! What have been your biggest accomplishments and obstacles so far in the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2014?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Duke84
Regular Contributor

Re: October Check in Thread

I've started the recovery process from Chapter 7 and it is a lot of work.

I got my secured Capital One card and have been watching how I use it. I also applied for a personal loan with a joint owner and hope to receive the funds very soon. I also started the process to consolidate my student loan debt, a step I should've done years ago.

I am happy to report that my scores have increased. Still some work to do to finally break into the 600s on my way to my ultimate goal of 750-800.

I'm happy to have found this site and learn so much from the people who contribute!

Starting Score: EQ: 537, TU: 488, EX: 558 (8/2014)
Current F8 Score: EQ: 733, TU: 734, EX: 709 (4/2023)

Current Cards:

Store Cards:
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive been working my credit about 2 1/2 months now.  I just got a fraud tax lien removed from my EQ and EX credit report and Im still waiting on TU to catch up.  EQ has already bumped my score 7pt (I thought it would be more) and Im waiting on the bump from EX.  I also paid off a baddie which according to Portfolio Recovery wont update until 45 days from 9/19/2014.  I also got my balance down to $2500 on a $3k limit credit card and Im trying to lower that even more.  I hope to see a nice increase in the next month or two.  I need to purchase a car soon and Im hoping that these score increases give me a better shot at a decent deal.

Message 3 of 13
Doodles
Established Member

New guy introduction

Hello, my name is Doodles.

I am new here and have joined the MyFico Fitness Challenge.  Some quick info:

Filed CH7 BK a year ago on Oct 1, 2013.  Discharged Jan 6, 2014.  Have gotten the following re-build going:

1.  CapitalOne AutoFinance Used Auto Loan (18.1% ouch) ($30k orig, $27,500 left)

2.  USAA Secured Amex (4k CL, 80% util)

3.  USAA Secured MC (1k CL, 70% util)

4.  CapOne Unsecured MC (poverty $300 CL, 0% util)

5.  WFHM $335k (not reaffirmed, so payments don't count)

I have 13 new inquiries this year from unsuccessfully trying to refi my autoloan.  I should have just let it age for a year.  I just HATE paying all of that interest.

Haven;'t reaffirmed my mortgage yet, but may do so as I have equity in the home.

Great income but have a ton of expenses due to cashflowing two private college educations, paying huge child support. 

Anyway, thanks for all of the help!  If I can be of any, please let me know!

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: 631
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm new here

Trying to purchase my first home soon. I need to build my CS to 620 or higher . So I open a CC account which I only spend about 30% of the total pet month. So as of now I'm
607-EQ
608-EX
613-TU

I'm looking to be in the 620 or higher by the end of this month
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am new to the whole concept of credit monitoring which explains why my credit has gotten so unmanagable (or so I thought). I recently went through a divorce, which left a lot of negative accounts in my lap, but I ready to bounce back.

I have been on myFico for approximately 10 days and have watched my CS go up about 4-9 points and I must say I am excited about everything I have learned and will learn from all the discussion posts.

My goal is to get in the 700s, as I am planning on purchasing a home in the near future. I have recently opened new accounts, such as 2 secured cards in August with Discover (200 CL) and Wells Fargo (300 CL), 1 unsecured, Merrick (550 CL). I also have some that I have opened this month, such as VS (250CL), Kays (1500CL), Macys (300CL), Limited (350 CL), Amazon (600 CL), Care Credit (800 CL) and Fingerhut. (600CL). So now I will, as you guys say, began gardening and see what my seeds produce.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got a few bumps in my credit scores the last 2 days

EX - 624, EQ - 622, and TU - 552

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

October Check in from New Guy on the block

Hello All,

I am working on repairing my credit. I have messed it up pretty bad in the past from credit cards that I was forced to live on as a freshman in college (07/08). Those are all charged off along with a few medical bills in collections.

I have a few items on my report that need disputing since I have no recollection of such debts. Hopefully I will see positiive results pretty soon.

In my years since creating my bad credit history, I have gotten better with spending habits, but my history still looms over my life, I cant get approved for anything, especially with a judgement on my report. 

Just got approved for a Captial One Secured Credit Card w/$99 deposit. Paid that last payday and am patiently waiting on its arrival. I intend on using the tips learned from this site on how to use and rebuild my credit quickly.

I have been reading the forums on here for a few weeks now and decided to create an account. I have a growing family and desperately need to fix my credit so we can have a house and new vehicles in the near future.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the right track!  By clearing up some inaccuracies, my scores have increased.  In addition, I've consolidated my student loans which I believe has helped.  My next steps over the next couple of months will be to pay down my credit card debt to 20% utilization and to work out an old collection account that I believe to be inaccurate.  I plan to reach both of these goals by the end of the year.

Starting:

Experian:  585

TransUnion:  606

Equifax:  541

Current:

Experian:  585

TransUnion:  606

Equifax:  610

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.