cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2017!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2017!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello people of myFICO!

I've been reading around on the forum for a couple of days now because I've decided it's my time to get in gear. I am a young adult that will be graduating college in about a year so I want to make a year plan to get my personal finances in order.

I wasn't very smart with my money, my credit, or anything related to my credit reports throughout my young adult life. I never really cared about my credit score or anything like that because I never had to. Now, I have to. I want to be able to get the credit cards, car loans, and mortgages that I wish once I am out of college and on my own.

I don't know a lot about credit, but I've been learning over the past few days what it really means. According to CreditKarma, I currently have a 517 TU score and a 486 EQ score. I know, these scores are awful.

Starting with credit cards:

I had a Discover It card with a balance of $1,000 to which I let get out of hand and it got charged off. I paid the debt in full yesterday.

I had a Capital One QS card with a $300 balance. Got out of hand with it and they said close it or it'll get charged off. I paid the debt in full yesterday.

I am an authorized user on a Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card with a balance of $22,300. It has satisfactory payment history and was paid down from $16,000 to $0 yesterday.

On to collections:

I have 4 collections in total.

1. Paid in full and closed

2. Paid in full and closed

3. Paid in full yesterday $789

4. Paid in full yesterday $221

Late Payments:

I have numerous late payments on both my Discover It card and my Capital One card. Other than that I have 0 late payments on anything.

Auto Loan:

I have an auto loan of $3,500 or so with perfect payment history.

School:

I have approximetely $18,000 worth of student loans which are currently differed due to being in school still.

For the most part that sums up what I know of my credit report. My ultimate goal is to get all 3 of my credit scores to 650+ (In 1 year if possible). I have been reading a lot about goodwill letters and things of that matter, but it is certainly confusing. I'd like to try to get the collection accounts removed and the late payments removed if at all possible. At this point I no longer have a credit card other than the card I am authorized on, do I apply for another credit card?

Any other advice from anyone as to how to proceed in rebuilding my credit would be much appreciated. If you have any questions or comments, reply or message me, thank you!

jlh1580, Welcome to the myFico Fitness Challenge!  Probably the best place to go for advice on rebuilding and cleanin up your credit report is in the Rebuilder forrum. The folks there are awesome and very knowledge!  I had 7 or so derogs on my CRs that I was able to get removed with the advice from that forum.  There is nothing they haven't seen before and many many of us on myFico had similar things to deal with on our CRs.  I wish you all the best.  Just remember to take it one step at a time. Smiley Happy

Message 41 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

Hello everyone and welcome to the myFICO Fitness Challenge!!!Smiley Happy I enjoyed reading all of your goals. 

Update:

1. Garden - 4 months - I may pick up another BBR in March but I'm still undecided.
  2. Increase CL on a couple of cards - so far its been a no go with Cap 1Smiley Sad & IT seems to be on a 91 day cycle. 
  3. Combine Cap 1 accounts - I still can't combine, but I'm not stressing over it. It will eventually happen.
  4. Reduce utilization - I'm still on track to PIF first card March 2017.

Stay positive & focused so we can meet our goals!!Smiley Happy

Yes it will! Smiley Very Happy  It sounds like you're well on your way to reaching your goals. Smiley Happy

Thank you LOTR! I feel confident I'll be in a good place by EOY.

Message 42 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

February 28, 2017 = 5 months of gardening

I'm 1 month away from PIF my first credit card and it feels good. Everything else remains the same.

Sweeeeet! Smiley Happy

Smiley Wink

Message 43 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I miss the March check-in thread?  Been waiting for it to appear.  Guess I'll update here for now...

Hello fellow myFico Challengers!

Overall I am very happy with my Fico 8 score progress - even hit THREE more goals!  I was really beginning to fret over the lack of movement with the mortgage scores, but just pulled the new 3B reports - and FINALLY movement!  Hallelujah!

I received nice point increases for Fico 8 scores:
EQ 751 to 760 (+9 points)
TU 757 to 769 (+12 points)
EX 792 to 801 (+9 points)

...and much needed point increases for Mortgage scores:
EQ 725 to 727 (+2 points)    <---- arrrrgh!  EQ still being a hater. Smiley Sad  Two points, really?!!
TU 729 to 745 (+16 points)   <---- TU saves the day for MMS goal. whew!
EX 780 to 796 (+16 points)

Looks like it took about 4 months for the mortgage scores to start recovering from the new accounts that were added.  The Fico 8 scores recovered much quicker than I expected. Go figure!

I think I can now stop stressing over the scores for now...and turn my attention to other things...ummmmm like saving money!  I made zero progess in the savings department,  Better get busy...time's a runnin' out!

I've added two very ambitious goals (atleast to me): ..800's across the board. Smiley Surprised I also hope to reach mortgage scores of 760 across the board.  

( shhhh... I don't want to say it too loud less I jinx it Smiley Wink ).  

2017 goals:
Reach Fico 8 700+ score across the board. DONE!
Get Fico 8 740 or more across the board. DONE!
Get Fico 8 760 across the board. DONE!
Reach my first EVER Fico 8 800 score! DONE!

Get middle mortgage score to atleast 740. DONE!

Save up atleast 5% down for mortgage. 0% saved so far. Smiley Sad
Try to get the three 30-day lates off of my CRs via GW letter.
Try to get the PIF State Tax lien removed from my EQ and TU reports.
Get all mortgage scores to atleast 760. *new*
Get Fico 8 800 across the board. EX, my cleanest file is already at 801, so essentially want to get EQ and TU (both have PRs) in the 800's. Possible?  I dunno. Smiley Wink *new*

That's all for now. I hope you all are working hard towards your personal goals.

Life happens...adjust accordingly.

Happy Goal Reaching! Smiley Happy

Message 44 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Did I miss the March check-in thread?  Been waiting for it to appear.  Guess I'll update here for now...

Overall I am very happy with my Fico 8 score progress - even hit THREE more goals!  I was really beginning to fret over the lack of movement with the mortgage scores, but just pulled the new 3B reports - and FINALLY movement!  Hallelujah!

EQ 725 to 727 (+2 points)    <---- arrrrgh!  EQ still being a hater. Smiley Sad  Two points, really?!!

Looks like it took about 4 months for the mortgage scores to start recovering from the new accounts that were added.  The Fico 8 scores recovered much quicker than I expected. Go figure!

I think I can now stop stressing over the scores for now...and turn my attention to other things...ummmmm like saving money!  I made zero progess in the savings department,  Better get busy...time's a runnin' out!

I've added two very ambitious goals (atleast to me): ..800's across the board. Smiley Surprised I also hope to reach mortgage scores of 760 across the board.  

2017 goals:

Get Fico 8 800 across the board. EX, my cleanest file is already at 801, so essentially want to get EQ and TU (both have PRs) in the 800's. Possible?  I dunno. Smiley Wink *new*

That's all for now. I hope you all are working hard towards your personal goals.

You are kicking a$$ and taking names LOTR!!! Awesome job on meeting your goals!! By the EOY, you're going to have a full page of completed goals. Your rock!

Message 45 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since we still don't have a March thread, I decided to post here.

Update:

1. Garden - March 28, 2017 = 6 months
  2. Increase CL on a couple of cards - I earned a $7K CLI on IT.*
  3. Combine Cap 1 accounts - Nothing new to report.
  4. Reduce utilization - 3 more payments and first account is PIF.

*I felt it was important to mention that in my first year I didn't receive any SP CLIs from Discover. In my second year, I started earning SP CLIs usually $1,500 each request. My card will be 3 years old this month, so maybe that's why I earned a higher than usual increase. I added this information because I know there are others like me so don't give up.Smiley Happy

Stay positive & focused so we can meet our goals!!Smiley Happy

Message 46 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

2017 goals:

You are kicking a$$ and taking names LOTR!!! Awesome job on meeting your goals!! By the EOY, you're going to have a full page of completed goals. Your rock!

+1000 Lol!

Message 47 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I'm going to join you, LOTR and BBP, and post my March update here:

EQ +4    684 to 688 Steady at 688

TU +2    650 to 652 +4 652 to 656

EX +26  653 to 679 -2 679 to 677

2017 Goals Review, beginning of March:

1). To garden the cards I got last year post-BK, letting those tradelines age and grow. without opening any new tradelines. Gardening date reset as of 2/15/17. In an impulsive moment, I apped for Chase Amazon Visa Signature and was approved for a $500 SL after recon. This move was worth it to me, since I got my foot in the door with Chase just 15 months post-BK, and they were IIB.

2). To continue to manage utilization and reported balances

3). To watch my inquiries drop from EQ 6, TU 5, EX 8 down to EQ 3, TU4, EX 4 by June. 1 EX inquiry should be off as of end of January, but is still there as of the last time I checked. EX inquiry fell off, but I added the new one from Chase. I have an EQ and an EX falling off at the end of March and again in April, then an old Cap1 triple pull falling off in May.

4). To pay an extra $100/month on my highest balance and highest interest student loan, which is upside down due to interest accruing while in deferment (I know I should have paid it as I went, but the BK and events leading up to didn't allow for that). Still working on implementing this. I did get "ahead" on my monthly payments, though, in the sense that before I was paying the prior month's statement minimum payment two weeks later when I got my paycheck. Now I've gotten ahead so I will pay my next statement's minimum payment the day it cuts out of last month's paycheck.

5). To continue saving about 10% of my gross income each month. This is on track, and I will increase it after I send in my tax balance next month.

6). To hopefully see my three FICO 8 scores hit 700's across the board Work in progress, but I really need to stay in the garden for this to happen.

7). Just joined the Navy League-San Diego Council a few days ago, and emailed my NFCU application materials this morning. Just opening Savings to get in, and will see about credit products down the road. 

Smiley Happy

Message 48 of 124
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Checking in for March

Goals a little revised:

I still want to reach 760 scores across the board

I will be getting a nice bonus at the end of the month, so I will pay off 3 cc's and save the rest. 

I have to get a car next year and won't be able to pay cash, so it is important to have my score over 720/740 to be able to get zero percent financing, and have a sizeable downpayment.

Right now the only thing holding down scores is utilization.  Hopefully I can pay off $25k of that debt over the next 16-17 months.  That is my number one goal right now.  Time to buckle down.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 49 of 124
Anonymous
Not applicable

Virgin Challenger here~

sigh... where to begin... Started a frog hair away from BK, decided to battle the storm.  Divorce.  Small business had a tough season.  Broke a couple ribs.  September was a turning point, finally sold some property, got lucky enough to be able to pay off some CCs and paid off some close outs.  So very thankful!!!  After the events of September, I signed up for a Discover (secured) and a Wells Fargo (secured).  Got to keep Cap1 QS by doing a restriction offer. 

Since the foundation of the rebuild in September, my credit scores moved up almost 200 pts... yet FICO score just sits there like a TOAD. 

2017 Goals:

1) Get these scores up to 700!

2) Hang out in the Garden Club (have to wait since I just got a Nord card) for the months of April~July ...maybe longer.

3) Do my best to get some late payments off.

4) RESTRAINT!!! 

5) Beg for mercy from Synchrony bank to allow my foot back in the door after a Wal-Mart charge off... sigh. 

Lurking on FICO furums has been extrememly helpful ~ see you in the Garden Club! 

P.S. why can't I get my siggy to work Smiley Sad

Message 50 of 124
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.