cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2020!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2020!

jbvcompass

Hey Everyone,

I’m excited to be here and have already learned a lot.

Long story short, I went through a bad divorce about 4 years ago and my credit was collateral damage. I decided to ignore my credit issues due to everything else going on. Fast forward to today… I now need to cleanup my CR, to raise my FICO score, so I can be in position to buy a house in the next year or two.

Thanks!

New Memberjbvcompass Did you get a copy of your credit reports yet
Message 51 of 255
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Everyone,

I’m excited to be here and have already learned a lot.

Long story short, I went through a bad divorce about 4 years ago and my credit was collateral damage. I decided to ignore my credit issues due to everything else going on. Fast forward to today… I now need to cleanup my CR, to raise my FICO score, so I can be in position to buy a house in the next year or two.

Thanks!

jbvcompass Did you get a copy of your credit reports yet

I was able to get EX and EQ. TU said they would mail it to me. 

Message 52 of 255
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then just reply to this topic, telling us a little about your financial situation, your goals, and how you plan to achieve them during the coming year. Hi,

I'm recently single after 3 years and am starting from scratch. I ran up charges on my CC to purchase essentialls needed to furnish my small apt. I need to pay down my cards and these high interest items. I plan to cut out in eating and pay on each daily with my Uber/ Lyft accounts. 

Message 53 of 255
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.  I have never been part of an "online community" before.  I am a fairly private person, so I do not share my information a lot...even to friends/family/co-workers etc.  I had a pretty decent credit score until the end of 2018. I had a fair checking account balance (not negative for a long while), an O.K. savings account, a home, a car, and pretty much every gadget that I saw and wanted.  I had a few credit cards...I was accepted every time I applied.  2 of the cards had what I considered "high" limits.  One was $10,000 and the other was $12,500.  I had built these up from starting limits of $250.  I thought I was set!! Then, I had my first grandbaby...money began leaving me in larger amounts, but I was still keeping my head above water.  I have since had 3 more grandbabies, but was still O.K.  Then, my Dad had a heart attack in May 2018.  I lost my Mom suddenly and unexpectedly in 2007.  My Dad has been in poor health for over 30 years, so I never dreamed my Mom would go first.  My sisters and I were left to care for my Dad, which has been taxing at times, but well deserved and worth it.  When he had his heart attack, I thought...O.K., this is it, the last straw, the last thing his body is going to have to suffer.  During the time of his recovery, which was several months, I fell behind on my bills...a lot behind.  I was depressed and more worried about providing for him than paying my bills on time.  Anyway, my Dad is still with us, but in assisted living and I am now trying very hard to rebuild my credit that bottomed out during that time.  My credit score is actually up some...538 as of last week.  I know this is still a very low score, but I have hope since it has come up some.  My goal is to raise it to at least 650.  This may seem like too much, but I really want to be out of debt.  I have tried using the "simulator" calculator to see what impact different things would have on my credit score.  It was really depressing.  It didn't matter what I put in, it barely moved my credit score.  Some things even made it lower!! It showed that even if I was debt free, my score wouldn't be above like 560...ugh.  No one will give me a loan to help pay anything off.  I have applied for way too many credit cards in hopes to get approved so I can use it to try and pay some things off, but (shocking, I know!) none of them would approve me, and now I couldn't even get a small limit "Secured" credit card  (so I didn't have to go inside every time I stopped for gas!).  When I applied for it, the message said the decision not to approve was mostly because I had too many recent inquiries...as if I wasn't aware of that.   I came across this website, by what I thought at the time, was purely accidental.  Now I am thinking maybe it was a "God thing" and that this will be an awesome journey with help and support that I have not been able to find anywhere else.  Any advice/ideas will be much appreciated!

Message 54 of 255
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Goals for 2020

1. Eliminate interest on revolving debt. When I hit rock bottom in late 2018, I was paying over $900 per month in interest on credit cards. Nine hundred freaking dollars! Per month! Crazy. By the end of 2019, I had trimmed that to around $300. For January 2020, it was $178. I can and will get to zero in 2020.

2. Pay all cards down to zero. Aggregate balance peaked a little over $60,000. Ouch! By the end of 2019, it was down to $40,000. Getting to zero in 2020 is my goal. It's a bit aggressive, but I think I can do it.

3. Apply for nothing other than one used car loan. I have plenty of cards. I don't need more, so I won't apply for any. I will need a car loan when a lease ends in June, but other than that: no apps.

Goals for Future Years

1. Save enough for the down payment on a house.

2. Get FICO scores over 800 before applying for mortgage

3. Buy a house. This time, maybe don't let it go to foreclosure. Just a thought...

4. Save adequately for kids college and our retirement. Have always done some of this, but am projected to come up short. Must fix that.

Message 55 of 255
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel you on this one completely. Things were looking bright finally after youthful ignorance woth me and my husband's credit and then both my mother and sister got cancer. They both passed, sadly, and our credit is tanked. Our credit is #1 goal now that we are financially stable again after so much loss (in more than one way). Best of luck!

Message 56 of 255
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

Goals for 2020

1. Eliminate interest on revolving debt. When I hit rock bottom in late 2018, I was paying over $900 per month in interest on credit cards. Nine hundred freaking dollars! Per month! Crazy. By the end of 2019, I had trimmed that to around $300. For January 2020, it was $178. I can and will get to zero in 2020.

2. Pay all cards down to zero. Aggregate balance peaked a little over $60,000. Ouch! By the end of 2019, it was down to $40,000. Getting to zero in 2020 is my goal. It's a bit aggressive, but I think I can do it.

3. Apply for nothing other than one used car loan. I have plenty of cards. I don't need more, so I won't apply for any. I will need a car loan when a lease ends in June, but other than that: no apps.

Goals for Future Years

1. Save enough for the down payment on a house.

2. Get FICO scores over 800 before applying for mortgage

3. Buy a house. This time, maybe don't let it go to foreclosure. Just a thought...

4. Save adequately for kids college and our retirement. Have always done some of this, but am projected to come up short. Must fix that.

@Curious_George2, Awesome Goals!!!   .. You can do itSmiley Happy

Message 57 of 255
janderson126
Contributor

Hi all I am newer here however been a watcher for a while now 

My current goals 

1. No new accounts unless there is no HP 

2. Raise scores to 730 fico 

3.  Cards I am wanting 

1. NFCU 

My current scores are lower 700s 

2 new accounts

I am also not sure what else to put here I am open to suggestions. 

Thank you

AMEX Delta Gold | Travel | 5k | 12/19
AMEX Delta Plat | 7k | 4/21
Navy Rewards | Gas | 18k | 06/20
Capone Savor | Entertainment | 3.5k | 1/20
Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Cap one Walmart | 2k| 10/17
PayPal Master Card | 2% Everyday Spend | 15k | 6/20
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 58 of 255
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@janderson126 wrote:

Hi all I am newer here however been a watcher for a while now 

My current goals 

1. No new accounts unless there is no HP 

2. Raise scores to 730 fico 

My current scores are lower 700s 

2 new accounts

I am also not sure what else to put here I am open to suggestions. 

Thank you, 

@janderson126, You did fineSmiley Happy .. Welcome to myFICO forums!

Message 59 of 255
janderson126
Contributor

I appreciate the note =  )  is there anything missing you would say? 

AMEX Delta Gold | Travel | 5k | 12/19
AMEX Delta Plat | 7k | 4/21
Navy Rewards | Gas | 18k | 06/20
Capone Savor | Entertainment | 3.5k | 1/20
Cap one | 6.5k | 1/10
Cap one Walmart | 2k| 10/17
PayPal Master Card | 2% Everyday Spend | 15k | 6/20
Venmo | 12K | 01/2024

Message 60 of 255
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.