cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2022!

tag
bilwilvegas
Regular Contributor

Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2022!

Just saw this after a few years here on MyFICO.com

I am 54 years old and had credit when I was younger (30 years ago).  My Amex cards had points but they never seemed like they were worth dealing with so for simplicity I started paying cash for everything or using a debit card.  I was an all cash guy for many many years, no credit cards, no car loans, no mortgages.  Then one day I noticed an alert on my Amazon Prime account saying I would have earned slightly over $5,000 in the last year if I had a Chase Amazon Prime card . . . so I applied for one and that started my credit awareness of how good points could be now.  I quickly added a few more cards (USAA Visa, DCU Visa, AMEX Plat and Gold, Pen Fed, and most recently an X1 card.  most of the cards were acquired in 2020 but I did add the X1 in January of this year.  My inquiries reflect this as I am currently 17/24 months but only 4/12 months and  1/6 months.  Acquiring all of the cards in 2020 meant I could not get into the Chase ecosystem and I have been gardening for awhile now.  In November of this year I will be 2/24 and down to 7 total inquiries. 

My new card goal is to get the Chase Sapphire Reserve and have my wife get the CSP in November.  I also plan to add an Amex Business Platinum card before the end of the year.  My long term goal is to get an Amex Centurion card within the next couple years.  I spent $375K on Amex personal cards in 2021 and am on track to spend close to that this year.  I am new with them so I understand they will want to see a few years history before I get the offer, but it is the long term goal I have my eye on.

My goal for credit scores is to increase my Equifax.  Current scores are EQ 842 / TU 832 / EX 786   I want to get EQ over 800  Average age of accounts is hurting me with EQ so patience is key here.

My points goal is to get my AMEX points over 2 million.  I am currently sitting at 1.42 million.  I have been collecting them since November of 2020 and I have not used any yet.

Early on I was just applying without any real strategy and now that I have defined my strategy I just need to be patient and wait for my inital card spree to age enough to open the possibility of getting in with Chase.

Message 41 of 47
720orBust

I have been away from the US for 3-4 years and let some a couple of items go to collections. Bad decision on my part but I need to move forward. 

Right now I am at a low 568 and my goal is 720. I have a lot of questions in this journey and I am so happy to have a forum where I am able to learn and have support in getting to the 720. 

So far I am 11 days into my journey and have been cleaning up my report I applied for a few different programs and cards to help me with my quest. 

I have a student loan that has 100% on-time payments but the current amount is higher than the starting amount due to interest and forbearance. 

Fingerhut and associated collections account 4 years old

Voluntary surrender of a car less than 3k 4 years ago.  

I have a Self loan and will get a credit card through them in 3 months. 

Discover it Secured card $200 limit

Capital One Secured card not sure of the limit they asked for $49 so we will see

Chime Credit builder Credit card $500

Credit One - Not sure if I will keep it because the fees are too high. I have not received it yet but I want to cancel it but not sure yet how this will affect my credit. 

Thinking to pay for a monthly program that will report my rental and utilities but I need to research this further. 

So I am just getting everything ready and soon I will be able to use the cards under 10% utilization. 

I am excited to see what 2023 will bring. 

Starting Score: 577EQ / 590 TU / 568EX 10/01/22
Current Score: 577EQ / 590 TU / 568EX
Goal Score: 720

Message 42 of 47
2Bfree
Regular Contributor

Improve credit score. 
Pay off credit cards get down under 30% 

Age current accounts 

No new applications 

img src="https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/image/serverpage/i
Message 43 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@720orBust

You have faced down the challenges and certainly are open to attacking them.

One thing on account closures ... it hurts when it is an old account (several years). New accounts not so much. Over the years I have closed many accounts that did not help me or fit my current spend pattern. Lots of folks do not believe in closing instead limp along and keep them forever. All points of view. Will say I had one account over ten years drop and my Fico Scores took a serious nose dive so there is truth in evaluating potential effects of closing!

Message 44 of 47
awatkins0510
New Visitor

Good morning everyone, 

I recently moved from Maryland to New York and my credit has taken a turn for the not-so-good. I have a car payment with a high finance rate. I'm finally under $9500 in debt on the car, and plan on making a little over a hundred dollars extra to pay down the principal. I really want my financial freedom back - I hate to be told "no." Prayerfully, I can work on correcting some errors on my reports and getting back into the mid 600s again. I've set my goal HIGH to 700 though! That would be a dream! 

Best of wishes to you all! 

Starting Score:552
Current Score: 552
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 45 of 47
fundsindia
New Visitor

Thanks you for sharing this 

Message 46 of 47
Fourthborm

Hi! I am in the process of rebuilding my credit and am hoping to purchase a home within the next year. 

Starting Score: 646
Current Score: 646
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.