cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2012!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Take the FICO Fitness Challenge for 2012!

Hi All!  New to the boards and my first stop was the garden since I have officially declared myself as a CC App Addict who seriously needs to be stopped immediately Smiley Embarassed  I just came across the FICO Fitness Challenge and felt that this was the appropriate next stop for me Smiley Happy ... OK, so for my financial situational run down:  ~ (1997 - 2001) I developed a horrible credit past while in undergrad...received many CCs in the mail, activated them, went on multiple shopping sprees that I couldn't afford, and racked up enough debt to drown myself...I'm sure some of you are familiar with that story; ~ (2002 - 2007) Graduated from undergrad, worked many different temp assignments and short tem contracts, ignored current debt and added a few more debts (medical bills and late payments on student loans); ~ (2007) Obtained full-time employment, matured financially, decided to take steps toward credit recovery by joining a credit union (after accepting a ridiculous APR for a new car), and consolidated all past debt into one loan (obtained from CU). ~ (2007-2012)  Paid off CU loan and car (both early), got married and became an AU on 2 of my husband's CCs, approved for home loan, and began shopping for our new home. ~ (08/12 - 11/12) Became a new homeowner on new construction, purchased a new $50,000 vehicle, and went on a CC app craze. ~ Current:  38 Accounts in Good Standing (most are student loan accounts...I'm a doctoral student, 3 installment loans (all paid in full), mortgage, current car loan, and CC accounts), 11 Potentially Negative Accounts (all collections that are closed/paid & the lates on student loans in 2006), and approx. 25+ inquiries <1yr amongst all reports, and now I am resting/growing in the garden.  Goal is to become a member of the 700 Club + clear negs. and inqs from reports. Whew...wish me luck and I wish you all the same on your journey to financial success!

Message 961 of 1,050
truevolution

This is my first time doing the Fitness Challenge and I am excited & ready to get started !

My current situation:

Discharged Bankruptcy October 2012 so I am currently in rebuilding mode.

I currently have 3 CC's thanks to lurking on this forum.

I have student loans, currently in forbearance.

My goals:

To save for a new house

To get a decent auto loan interest rate

To live within my budget 

I plan to achieve these goals by paying my bills ontime, managing credit better & I hope my wisdom, past experiences help me on my journey.

Starting Score: 544 (EQ) 527 (TU)
Current Score: 544 (EQ) 527 (TU)
Goal Score: 700+ ALL

Message 962 of 1,050
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Hi to everybody  Smiley Happy

This is a nice idea this Fitness Challenge and I hope it will go on in 2013.  Why?

Because I would love to participate too. Since 1986 I live out of the country and never bothered to check my credit scores. So I had no clue what my credit scores were in the US for so many years. 

About 6 months ago I started to get pre-screened offers from credit card companies  which made me a bit wonder and I started to investigate.. On a free trial I did get some scores which came up with the same result as the free app from CreditKarma. (Scores from about a week ago)

Here is what I got TU 761, EQ 759, EX 752 - a few days ago I just lost 4 points for a hard pull from a pre-screened offer from Discover.   I always thought that pre-screened offers would not hurt the score but I guess it does when you try to accept their offer. Discover only pulled EQ and this is on  the free trial the only one that shows on the payment history  from my credit cards  N/A (not available) the other TU and EX  show 100%. with an A+ Grade for my payment history. So no wonder Discover declined but how in the world did they select me in their pre-screening?

So my goal is to try to get  800+ scores  on all ! This  is my Fitness Challenge  for 2013 ! Well I know quite unrealistic as out of country resident but why not give it a try. It is always good to have a Fitness goal

Edit:

Due to the decline of Discover for their pre-screened offer and  the hard pull on my account I took the chance for the free report from Equifax and got all 3 scores for 50% and what a surprise - other than TU which was 765 also on the free Credit Karma app both Experian and Equifax popped up 20 points higher and got me both 772. My Fico had lower scores see above - Why is that? 

Message 963 of 1,050
cyn-lee123

Hi, I am new to the Fisco Fitness Challenge also. I have been disgusted ever since I found out my credit score of 570 as of August 2012. I would have never known it, until I went to purchase a car. I have had credit for 22yrs, and has more than likely been up and down the score scale in the last 10 yrs. Where I am at today is that I have waged an all out WAR on my credit report and score. I am 52 yrs old with nothing, and that is not a good feeling at this time. I have had the opportunity to clean my credit report clear of all information and debts that I have held on my report. Since I have not had credit in so many years, I had too start over. So I have invested in ONE Secured credit card, and that's it. My score has rised gradually as I have continued to pay off any old debts. I have went from having a 570 to 668 as of Oct. 19,2012. But guess what, when one of my old accounts was corrected and closed on 10/20 ( the next day), my scores dropped from 668 to 625. Then a couple days later because of a late payment ( spent the money on Hurricane Sandy supplies) my score dropped to a 609. But since all of that activity has occurred, it's on the rise again, it's back up to 618, and HOPEFULLY climbing. My goal is to reach 700, so that I can purchase a car, before the winter weather really set in. So please if anyone have any advice for Me, please share it. I am not gonna give up on this roller coaster credit ride, it starting to be challenging, and motivating for Me at this time. I feel like this is an uphill Mountain I am climbing, and no matter how many rest stops, and detours I take, I am gonna reach the top, because this is where my GOAL is standing at, waiting on MY ARRIVAl. DOn't never  Give up or Give in, Hold on, No Matter What.

Fired up!!!
Message 964 of 1,050
cyn-lee123

Congrats, that's what I am talking about! How did you do it, PLEASE share some tips/advice. I really need a car BAD. Thanks.

Fired up!!!
Message 965 of 1,050
fairclok
Contributor

@fairclok wrote:

Hi Barry and Everyone,

First time joining this forum.   Seems very interesting and provides a lot of support and feedback.      I'm looking forward to sharing my challenge with you guys.

My current situation.

Experian - 630

Equifax - 603

Transuntion - 630

Short term goal - 660  (maybe 6 months?    is this possible?)

Long Term goal - 700+ (maybe withing 2 years?  is this possible?)

Up until 2009  I was young and very lazy with paying bills, etc.   I didn't understand the importance of credit.      In January of 2009, I payed off all my debt that was on my credit report as deliquent, etc.    

I kept my auto loan (which is now paid off and was never late on payments 1995-2010)

I kept my school loan, which has $10,000 left - make payments of $200 per month

I have had no credit cards, etc in the past 3 years.   I wanted to get used to living on a budget and pay my bills in real time.        

The accounts that I paid in full in 2009 are still on my credit report as closed, but listed as potentially negative, which i'm know will be there for a minimum of 7 years. 

NOW:

Its now time for me to build my credit.    

I opened a $300 credit card with Orchard Bank.   Have had it for 6 months.    Always pay on time and keep the amount I spend to around $100.    

I also have my shcool loan ($10,000), which has been current since Jan 2009.      Prior to that I was only late twice from Jan 07-Jan 09.    

Otherwise i have no other debt.  

I could really use some advice on how to build my credit in a responisble way.

Goals:

Short term goal - 660  (maybe 6 months?    is this possible?)

Long Term goal - 700+ (maybe withing 2 years?  is this possible?)

Thanks in advance for your help.  

Keith   

Good news.   I was approved for my Capital One Secured Card today.      

The letter says minimum deposit of $49.    Does that mean what I was approved for?   Or can I deposit more?  

I'm looking forward to using it responsibly and watch my credit score increase even more.      I''m at 655 Equifax today.  

Going to pull all three reports before I make the deposit and then pull them again after and see what the impact was on all 3 scores.   I will post when I find out.

Starting Score: Sept. 2012 EX FAKO 560; EQ FICO 590; TU FICO 576
2015 Score: Dec 2016 EX FICO 800; EQ FICO 790; TU FICO 810
Goal Score Met 2018: 825 or better on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 966 of 1,050
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

Hi fairclok,

I have the secured Capital One as well. They start with a $200 limit. You decided how much you want your credit limited to be, base on security deposit up to $3000. I got the card in June 2012. My credit limit is $1000 and with the unsecured version with limit of $500. My credit has dramatically increase. Just stick to keeping utilization under  9%. Personally I do 7% because FICO states high achievers average 7% utilization. 

Best wishes to you on your journey.

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 967 of 1,050
fairclok
Contributor

@priceless07 wrote:

Hi fairclok,

I have the secured Capital One as well. They start with a $200 limit. You decided how much you want your credit limited to be, base on security deposit up to $3000. I got the card in June 2012. My credit limit is $1000 and with the unsecured version with limit of $500. My credit has dramatically increase. Just stick to keeping utilization under  9%. Personally I do 7% because FICO states high achievers average 7% utilization. 

Best wishes to you on your journey.

Thanks for the information priceless07.     I'm looking forward to seeing the impact on my score by managing the card appropriately.    Utilization rates.   On time payments, etc.   

Good luck in your journey as well.

Starting Score: Sept. 2012 EX FAKO 560; EQ FICO 590; TU FICO 576
2015 Score: Dec 2016 EX FICO 800; EQ FICO 790; TU FICO 810
Goal Score Met 2018: 825 or better on all 3

Message 968 of 1,050
JGeuy
Valued Member

Smiley Happy I will aim for 7% as well, good advice! I read recently on an article regarding people whose scores are 800 and above that one of the people makes payments on his cards more than once a month, which keeps the balance percentage lower, ensures that payments are always on time, and also helps to pay more than the minimum every month. I have started to do this as well and am going to now go to my cards and calculate that 7% and formulate the amount on each that I need to pay off.

Original Starting Score:553
Current Score: TU 658 EQ 658 EX 632
Goal Score: 700
PLAN TO GARDEN FOR ALL OF 2013 !

Message 969 of 1,050
JGeuy
Valued Member

My advice is to be VERY proactive and diligent and to learn what makes the score go up and down. Visit the boards here often, you really learn a lot. I went from scores in the 500's in 2007/2008 and made started to make changes in 2009, mostly based on what I have learned here, so I am now flirting with the 700's. I now have a house have re established credit with MC, Visa, Capital One, Lowes and Macys. I have a new (2012) car with a decent rate. My student loans are on time, and I know how to manage everything SO much better. The best thing is, that when I experience a drop, I know why, and can correct it quickly. I also know how to avoid them and time my payments and purchases appropriately. These boards have been invaluable to me for advice and learning.

Original Starting Score:553
Current Score: TU 658 EQ 658 EX 632
Goal Score: 700
PLAN TO GARDEN FOR ALL OF 2013 !

Message 970 of 1,050
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.