cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

tag
fbh31118
Valued Member

Re: Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge for 2013!

Another newbie joining the site trying to sort things out to prep for a morgage.  I had the same job for years with a good income for my area until the market crash took my job and my families home.  We ended up declaring bankrupcy after our c/u went back on a deal we had made to short sell and pay the difference.  Years and a 750 score was out the door in the blink of an eye.Smiley Sad

Now my wife and I are about 4 months from being @ the two year mark on our b/c discharge with the only financial history being a used car that we bought, 3 months after our b/c, through Cap1.  The car was $8000 and we put 1000 down, it is currently paid down to around 5400 or so of which we have never been late on, ever.  I have a student loan with roughly 2200 left @ 1.9 which has also never been late since I've been out of school, around 14 yrs.  I'm reluctant to pay the s/l off purely due to the fact that its cheap to maintain and is still providing good history(hope this is good logic, we could pay this off any time).  To the best of my knowledge my rating has changed little since we bought our car, only because they mentioned that we were in the 600s.  

We do not have any credit cards or any other revolving credit which we know may have to change in order to improve.  I'm really not sure what to look at or how many but I have no need for garbage and 0 desire to have a wallet stuffed with plastic as a general rule.  I've only had two cards in my life a Discover card and a hsbc GM card both of which were insane limits just from little to no use.  

Our main goal is to be able to buy a home at a decent rate by next year which will most likely be under 100,000 if we buy at all.  We live in our current  location for free other that untilites and upkeep so we have no reason to move right away.  

Thanks for everyones insight and help!

Starting Score: Experian 627 TU 652 Quizzle na DW 634
Current:Equifax: 698TU: 659Experian: 690
Goal Score: 700 +
Why farm half when you can FARMALL.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 161 of 735
KTR1215
Established Member

I am joining the challenge this year for myself and my husband. My goal is to rebuild my credit from a foreclosure that is going to hopefully end next Month in February. I have 5 baddies that I need to take care of with DV, PFD, and GW. Some are scheduled to fall off before we do the big pull 3 years from now so I have decided worse case scenario I will let them fall off. My short term goal is to move from a myfico of 503 to a myfico of 620. Baby steps. My long term goal is to be at a 700 by end of 2014. My husband and I plan to buy another house (he wasn't on the first loan) after my 3 year wait time.

Starting: 503 EQ FICO (1/2013-Pre Foreclosure)
Current Score: 583 (2/18/2013)
Goal Score: 700 (12/2014)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 162 of 735
JGeuy
Valued Member

My goal for 2013 is to reduce my CC balances. I made major strides in the last 18 months, bought a house in February 2011, added new CCs- Macys 1200 limit, Cap One 500 limit, Discover 1000 limit and Lowes 1000 limit, all in 2012. Also purchased new car  in October 2012, so that is a 20K balance with Toyota Financial.  All in all pretty good, and scores have been fairly consistent. New goal for 2013 is to continue to reduce the card balances, and to increase scores across the board to 750. This forum has been invaluable to me in correcting so many issues and ading me in making better decisions.

Original Starting Score:553
Current Score: TU 658 EQ 658 EX 632
Goal Score: 700
PLAN TO GARDEN FOR ALL OF 2013 !

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 163 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to focus on paying stuff off. Focus on being on time for every payment and paying down credit card debt.

Message 164 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score has gone from 740s to 680s within the past year or so due to overuse of credit. My goal in 2013 is really to focus on getting myself out of debt. I'm not sure I will be able to get in done in 2013, but I really want it to be a main focus. At the very minumun, I'd like my debt cut in half this year.

Message 165 of 735
OmegaSD

I'm new to the challenge this year, planning to pay off all my credit card debt (~$10K) and save up money to buy a home!

Message 166 of 735
mspiggybank
New Contributor

Hi Everyone. 

I'm new to the challenge and the site (this is my first post!), but I've been lurking for a few months. Finally worked up the nerve to pull my credit today. I also signed up for the USAA monitoring system.

My scores are as follows:

FICO: 610

Exp: 553

EQ: 567

TU: 567

My goals:

Finish the rehab program for my student loans

increase FICO to 675 or better

No late payments

Increase secured credit card amount to $1500 (currently $700)

Dispute or PFD baddies that I can afford to pay off

Have over $5000 in savings at the end of the year

Message 167 of 735
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all, I just joined the challenge today. I'm so excited. My goal for 2013 is to pay off my small balance cards first. I currently have a car loan that will be paid off in April. After my car is paid off, I plan on taking my car note payments and paying on my larger balance cards beginning with the cards with higher interest rates.

I am working on eating that elephant one bite at a time. Now, if I can get my husband on board with this plan of action, we'll be headed in the right direction.

Good luck to everyone!

Message 168 of 735
MrSwiss
Valued Member

Quick history and how I found this site..

We unfortunately lost our home 12/1/11 and in that process had to file BK (Used CC’s to try and save home STUPID!!) 5/2011. So, in Dec.  of 2011 we rented a home from a friend. We then had to move from that home 12/2012 as they had to sell it.. Yippee ( Hate moving!!!) get to move again…. While searching for a new place to hang our hats a property management company suggested (MYFico) I look and see what my scores were as this could help us in finding a home. Fearing the worst since we had the BK in 2011 I joined and to my surprise I was at 642-EQ and 632-TU. I can’t tell you relief I felt when I saw that! I know crummy score, but at least it was not in the low to mid 500’s, which could have made getting a new place very hard. We got a new place 12/18/12 and it is very nice! No pool this time. Smiley Sad    As of 1/16/2013---2671 pages read –20 replies -- 5 topics started. I have learned so much from this site just reading..  

Dec 2012 :

12-03-12 – found site began reading and reading and…..

12/03/12-- $0.00 revolving, did not think I needed it WRONG (learned from the site) need some..

12/28/12 – first apps since ????

12/28/12 – Now have $1900 in revolving credit keeping UTI very LOW (learned from the site..)

12-31-12 - first Q posted

No more apps till SEPT-OCT maybe longer…

Try for some small CLI…

Hit the 700 club..

2015-16

Buy new Home Smiley Happy

Swiss

Starting Score:EQ-642 --TU-632-- EX-?
Current Score:EQ-660 MyFico-- TU- 647 MyFico-- EX- 674 Quizzle
Goal Score:700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge NFCU vsig $14k -- NFCU PLat MC $14k - NAVChek $7.5K -- NFCU PLAT Visa $14k -Cap1 $1.5k--AMZ $700- Lowes $500- WALMART-$400
Message 169 of 735
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Hello all, another new member here checking in for the myFICO Fitness Challenge 2013.

I didn't see anywhere for introductory posts, so I will make a quick one here. My credit score has been less than stellar since before I knew what credit was, due to parent/student loans that were not paid on time (or at all) during/after college (the first time), and my aversion to debt (no CC/personal loans, etc. until I was in my 20's). I have been watching my credit with various monitors over the last couple of years hoping that it would fix itself over time, but it seems to have stalled where it is over the last year. In 2012 something finally clicked for me financially, and I am now on a quest for financial independence. Here is a quick recap of 2012 for me, and my 2013 goals (financially/credit wise, because it all ties in together I think):

2012 Recap:

Paid off vehicle loan

Established an emergency fund

Increased credit limit from $1500 to $26,500 (not a typo)

Didn't carry a balance on any CC

Credit Score from 620ish to high 670's

2013 Goals:

Learn as much as possible about credit scores here

Open at least 1 more CC (I have 1 Visa, 1 Mastercard now)

Credit limit increase/switch cards with Capital One ($1500 currently with $45 annual fee)

Hit the 700 club (I think this is feasible?)

All thoughts/comments/suggestions welcomed.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 170 of 735
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.