Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10, 17, 27 point losses - deleted AU card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10, 17, 27 point losses - deleted AU card

Hi,  I'm comfused. I just lost 17 points on EX and 10 on EQ (update) and 27 on TU (TU reason is change of address).  The only changes were; change of address; HP in August for a BofA card; and most recently the Cap1 I was an AU on; The primary passed away; I asked them to delete the account completely per CK it lists as "terminated"; the  Cl was $2400/ 74 months age  opened 7/2014; no balance; 

I'm confused by this decrease; here are my other revolvers; shouldn't this deletion help my aaoa increase? Also I haven't ran my latest fico because I'm still waiting for alerts on a few things first. The amounts listed are cl; I don't carry balances except for <$200 on NFCU so it's not a utilization issue.  Any thoughts? Thanking you in advance! 

boa open 6/1982 $24k

Lafcu open 2/2012 $1k

Sams club /synchrony open 6/2014 closed 7/2018 au

Jpmc open 11/15 closed 10/2019 au $500

Amex gold open 12/16

Synchony bow flex opened 2/2017 $2500 (recently increased but not reported)

Nfcu opened July 2018 $28k

Amex Hilton opened 10/2019 $40k

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 17 point loss - deleted AU card

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,  I'm comfused. I just lost 17 points on TU and 10 on EQ. The only changes were a HP in August for a BofA card; and most recently the Cap1 I was an AU on; The primary passed away; I asked them to delete the account completely per CK it lists as "terminated"; the  Cl was $2400/ 74 months age  opened 7/2014; no balance; 

I'm confused by this decrease; here are my other revolvers; shouldn't this deletion help my aaoa increase? Also I haven't ran my latest fico because I'm still waiting for alerts on a few things first. The amounts listed are cl; I don't carry balances except for <$200 on NFCU so it's not a utilization issue.  Any thoughts? Thanking you in advance! 

boa open 6/1982 $24k

Lafcu open 2/2012 $1k

Sams club /synchrony open 6/2014 closed 7/2018 au

Jpmc open 11/15 closed 10/2019 au $500

Amex gold open 12/16

Synchony bow flex opened 2/2017 $2500 (recently increased but not reported)

Nfcu opened July 2018 $28k

Amex Hilton opened 10/2019 $40k

@Anonymous Looks like it reduced your AAoA and AAoRA, average age of revolving accounts, at first look without doing any calculations because all but two revolvers were newer. If it had no negative history why did you dump it?

Additionally, if it was removed from your report, it lowered the denominator for your ratio of revolvers and accounts with a balance. So now it will be harder to hit the lower thresholds.

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

A good rule to go by this is: figure out what your average age is and what your average age of revolvers is, then compare to the age of the card you’re debating removing. If it’s older, you know it’s helping you; if it’s younger it’s hurting you.
Message 3 of 34
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Use FICO scores, not Credit Karma VS 3.0 scores?

Message 4 of 34
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Are you referring to your CK scores? If so, those are highly volatile and can be way off your true FICOs. I'm betting if you pull up your true FICOs, you won't see such a drastic change, if any.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are those CK scores?
Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous @AllZero @OmarGB9 

Sorry for not being clear. I'm on a new very demanding job and am exhausted by the time I get off. i hit send and then fell asleep

Score drop- is on fico 8; The reason provided was "all bank card  credit limit decreased"lowered from $97,900 to $95,500. Side note: 
my Synchrony bowflex card cl was just increased more than the $2400 but hasn't reported yet.

CK REFERENCE I checked CK only to see how update is listed in report; CK list status as "terminated" I'm wondering if the way it  is listed is contributing to loss of points.  Btw, only lost 2 points on ck. 

AAOA/AAORA - since I just scored big with the joint account of 38 years I thought my age was being lowered by having the card even though it is older than some of my other open accounts. The math I did is shown below, but perhaps I'm not using the proper calculation method. In my examples below, Example 1 with fewer cards has the higher AAoRA; Am I off base? 

Example 1)

Act 1: 458 months 

Act 2: 11 months

AAoRA =234.5

Example 2)

Act 3: 60 months 

AAoRA =176.3 months 

AU removal- Account holder passed away; I notified bank and asked to have record deleted. Not sure if they deleted or as ck says "account terminated". Also not sure if that status matters to score. 

Any thoughts? 

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous @AllZero @OmarGB9 

Sorry for not being clear. I'm on a new very demanding job and am exhausted by the time I get off. i hit send and then fell asleep

Score drop- is on fico 8; The reason provided was "all bank card  credit limit decreased"lowered from $97,900 to $95,500. Side note: 
my Synchrony bowflex card cl was just increased more than the $2400 but hasn't reported yet.

CK REFERENCE I checked CK only to see how update is listed in report; CK list status as "terminated" I'm wondering if the way it  is listed is contributing to loss of points.  Btw, only lost 2 points on ck. 

AAOA/AAORA - since I just scored big with the joint account of 38 years I thought my age was being lowered by having the card even though it is older than some of my other open accounts. The math I did is shown below, but perhaps I'm not using the proper calculation method. In my examples below, Example 1 with fewer cards has the higher AAoRA; Am I off base? 

Example 1)

AAoRA =234.5

Example 2)

Act 3: 60 months 

AAoRA =176.3 months 

AU removal- Account holder passed away; I notified bank and asked to have record deleted. Not sure if they deleted or as ck says "account terminated". Also not sure if that status matters to score. 

Any thoughts? 

@Anonymous hey I fell asleep too. give me a little time and I'll do the calculations and see if we come up with the same. like I said I didn't do any calculations, I was just eyeballing it so I may or may not be right the math. And a 38 year joint is a tremendous score! Congratulations on that! Well done!

yeah I thought you were referring to version 8 and using CK as a reference, I understood that. But the question is, is it still on your report or not?

you may need to pull your ACR. Because if it's still on your report it's still contributing to aging whereas if they removed it, it is not. If it simply says terminated they may have simply put terminated in the responsibility field and left the history... hopefully. Well that is, if my eyeballing is right. 

I haven't even went back and reread post one yet but do you have any other AU accounts? if so do they have a balance? and do you know whether or not for sure this (or other) AU was counting? 

Give me a couple minutes and I'll do the math. You already know the reason that comes with it is not necessarily correlated to the actual cause of the score change. And Unless it caused you to cross the utilization threshold, the change in CL shouldn't of made a difference

Message 8 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous ! Yep, I'm sure I need to pull all 3. I don't have any other AU accounts. Will be on standby for more feedback. Thanks! 

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @Anonymous ! Yep, I'm sure I need to pull all 3. I don't have any other AU accounts. Will be on standby for more feedback. Thanks! 

OK I did the math and it looks like you're right, it did improve your average ages to dump the account. But my math doesn't agree with yours. 

first off I need to know if you have any loans because those will contribute to average age of accounts. If I assume you have no loans and the only thing you have listed on your credit report is what you listed in post one, then without that authorized user account, I get a total of 820 months across eight accounts for average age of accounts which comes to 102.5 months or 8 1/2 years. If I factor in the 74 month old authorized user account, that brings us to a total of 894 months divided by 9 accounts which gives us 99.3 months or 8.27 years AAoA. 

Now, on the other hand, when I go to average age of revolving accounts, I get 775 months across 7 accounts (because a charge card is not a revolver). That gives me 110.71 months which is 9.22 years, or if I add in the 74 month AU, I get 106 months which is 8.84 years.

so yes it did increase your average ages! We need to know if the account was removed from your credit report, you need to pull your ACR. I need to know if you have any loans on your CR. And one last question did the account have a balance on it?

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.