cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% / 30% Utilization question and FICO score...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 10% / 30% Utilization question and FICO score...

So would you say that what could be holding down a score, would be the several balances on CC's? Even if a person is at 9% overall and under 28% on each CC? I assume that each time your balance increases, you would lose some points. 

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah... So there is a unicorn breakpoint for EX < 4% for individual CCs also. That would lend credence to the AZEO method. Otherwise why would anyone bother other than to avoid balance carry costs with interest charges. Unless one would say FICO sees a zero balance as a positive DP. Then we get into a zero utilization issue over the course of several cycles as a negative for any one CC.

Message 12 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Janus said: So would you say that what could be holding down a score, would be the several balances on CC's? Even if a person is at 9% overall and under 28% on each CC? I assume that each time your balance increases, you would lose some points.

@Janus: If you are under 8.9% ag and 28.9% individual, you are perfectly fine, actually exceptional! The 4% breakpoint found by @CassieCard does not exist on all scorecards and it is an extremely small number of points, something you could easily overlook. But, yes, if you have many accounts with a balance, that will reduce your score.

No, each time your balances increase doesn't equal a score change; only if you cross thresholds.

@SilverSmith said: Ah... So there is a unicorn breakpoint for EX < 4% for individual CCs also. That would lend credence to the AZEO method. Otherwise why would anyone bother other than to avoid balance carry costs with interest charges. Unless one would say FICO sees a zero balance as a positive DP. Then we get into a zero utilization issue over the course of several cycles as a negative for any one CC.

@SilverSmith: No individual breakpoint for individual utilization has been found to my knowledge at ~4%. Click on the links @CassieCard so graciously provided and read about the AGGREGATE ~4% threshold.

However, I don't understand what this would have to do with AZEO, though? Yes, exactly, FICO sees zero balances as positive DPs. The more the better, especially the mortgage scores, as SJ would say.

There is more than one theory. One says FICO takes the number of open accounts WITH a balance and uses that as the numerator and the total number of accounts as the denominator. The percentage created, 0%-100%, assists in determining the score, the lower, the better, obviously. There are breakpoints, just like with utilization. They are just not well documented and seem to vary by algorithm.

Another theory says its based on raw numbers rather than percentages; still, the lower the number of accounts with a balance, the better. There is also debate as to whether it includes all accounts or just revolvers; this may also vary by FICO version.

This is why AZEO works. Because, no matter how many cards you have and no matter which FICO algorithm, the lowest number of accounts with a balance you can have is the most optimal for scoring for ANYONE'S given profile at that given time. (Except those with 850 buffer or a high number of cards, possibly.)

This does NOT mean it is the most optimized possible for that scorecard/profile however. For example, I'll borrow Rupert and Cornelius (credit BBS, LOL) and I'll add Jon! Let's say all 3 have the exact same profile with the only difference being number of cards. Keep in mind, FICO does not use dollar amounts, but percentages for utilization, so the difference in number of cards should be irrelevant to utilization, but should only discriminate among accounts with a balance. (Note: There is debate that a $100 threshold or some other trivial threshold could exist, offering a small number of points, but to my knowledge it hasn't been confirmed, and if so, would most likely be small.)

Now, if Rupert only has 2 revolvers, Cornelius 3 and Jon 5, what would the difference be among their respective scores at AZEO? This would vary based upon FICO version.

I would opine that for FICO 08, Rupert would have the lowest scores because he has the highest number of accounts with a balance, 50%. Cornelius would fare better because he could reach FICO 08s documented 33% threshold for number of accounts with a balance. Jon may fare even better, if there is another lower breakpoint in FICO 08. It is noteworthy that once you hit that lowest breakpoint, whatever that is, adding more cards (resulting in an even lower percentage potentially) will not offer any further help, contrary to what the CMSs would like you to believe, LOL.

But what happens with a different version, say old 1998 EX FICO2? Well, for sure Jon would be in the lead there because he can reach lower documented breakpoints than Cornelius (50%) or Rupert (33.3%). Jon has only 20% of his accounts with a balance at AZEO and will therefore have a better EX2 score than Cornelius or Rupert, assuming all other variables are the same. So, number of cards can and does make a difference up to a point; then its just convenience of carrying more than one balance without a ding.

There is the other part of AZEO regarding keeping the one balance low. Of course this ensures both individual and aggregate utilization is low, to squeeze every point from utilization, but the reason most everyone keeps all their accounts zeroed is because of trying to stay under the lowest threshold possible for the number of accounts that they have.

For example, for many profiles, they can reach their best scores even at AZE2 or AZE3 or higher. It all depends on the number of cards that they have.

One other note I would like to make. From what I have learned, FICO looks for the highest individual utilization card and then dings/awards based upon that. It does NOT count each card and which individual threshold each card is at.

You simply get dinged for the highest one, whatever it may be. So, individuals would not be keeping each individual card <4% to maximize score; no, they would be zeroing out as many accounts as possible to lower their "number of accounts with a balance" percentage.

Hope this helps someone understand. And as always, just my humble opinion from what I've learned here and experienced.

Edited at 6:48 AM.

Message 13 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, each time your balances increse doesn't equal a score change; only if you cross thresholds.

Ah, ok. Thanks

I know that my most recent drop came from an inq and new account. Since that new card came with 12 month 0% APR promo, I placed a charge on it. So i wasn't sure if the score drop included adding another balance as well. Even with that added though I'm still under those two thresholds. Just a waiting game for me to recover those lost points. Should have stayed in the garden abit longer but couldn't resist the targeted preapproval.

Message 14 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Janus Did you understand there are different thresholds? one for installment utilization, one for highest individual utilization, one for aggregate utilization, and most relevant to you, thresholds on number of accounts with a balance.

So, depending on how many cards/accounts you have, adding another account with a balance could result in a score ding. However, if you have a higher number of accounts, one more may or may not result in a ding, depending on if you cross a number of accounts with a balance threshold.
Message 15 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 14 CC 4 of them with a balance, all well under the 28%. 1 Loan that's over 50% paid off. Then of course the new car loan in April, that is where I lost most of my points. But the last few months I was gaining them back, was at 790 again. Then went back to 740ish after the Freedom app.  I'm tempted to pay one or two off early just to recover some points, but they're all still under 0% promos. So I'm in no real hurry.

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can probably have 3 CCs report a balance and your 1 loan without a ding, but may vary by CRA, and other attributes, speaking FICO 08 of course... for mortgage scores, you'd need less most likely.
Message 17 of 44
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 14 CC 4 of them with a balance, all well under the 28%. 1 Loan that's over 50% paid off. Then of course the new car loan in April, that is where I lost most of my points. But the last few months I was gaining them back, was at 790 again. Then went back to 740ish after the Freedom app.  I'm tempted to pay one or two off early just to recover some points, but they're all still under 0% promos. So I'm in no real hurry.

If your aggregate revolving utilization is > 2% you're probably losing points in FICO 8.

If your aggregate installment utilization is > 9% you're probably losing points in FICO 8 for that as well.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 18 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard of the 4% aggregate threshold but you’re telling me there’s 2% aggregation threshold on revolving SJ?

Either way the 4% is only worth a few points on the scorecards that it exists on. As long as your aggregate is under 8.9% you’re doing great. But obviously the lower the better for many reasons.
Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Remember that overall utilization is King to [highest] individual card utilization.  Where an aggregate threshold-crossing may be good for (say) 10-15 points, sometimes an individual card threshold crossing is reported to be only a few points depending on profile.

I just crossed over a threshold to 37% (from 22%) individual card but only lost a single point on Experian (808). My total utilization is still only 2% so I will continue to use this card as much as possible for the 0% apr promo until November.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.