Did you mean: 

10 Point DROP After paying off Citibank

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: 10 Point DROP After paying off Citibank

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

FICO 8 penalizes scores when all revolving accounts are zero. The points penalty is profile specific. It is just a fact. 

Why ask why? 

Is it profile specific?  I have not heard of someone not incurring an AZ penalty on revolving accounts. 

I also balked at that sentence. But then I figured out that he means the number of points is profile specific.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Not in my case. In my case it exceeded 30 points. 30 points was my attempt to provide an average.

But the majority of your points came once you dropped to 8.9%, meaning that for the other 90%+ of the paydown you would not have been penalized ~30 points had you paid off the loan.   Or, that you weren't experiencing the majority of the loan [points] benefit for most of the time.  I get it that it's a glass half full glass half empty argument, I suppose I just see it opposite of the way you do. 

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

If you're satisfied with the explanations given in the AMA thread, fine. To my mind they make no sense whatsoever.

I'm not speaking about the thread at all (I'd personally grade it a "D" in terms of being informative), simply the one point made regarding the topic at hand regarding risk and the AZ penalties.  If that was what was found with their research regarding risk assessment on that subject I'm good with it, as no doubt they invested far more than we have. 

Message 23 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

FICO 8 penalizes scores when all revolving accounts are zero. The points penalty is profile specific. It is just a fact. 

Why ask why? 

Is it profile specific?  I have not heard of someone not incurring an AZ penalty on revolving accounts. 

I also balked at that sentence. But then I figured out that he means the number of points is profile specific.

"The points penalty is profile specific." Meaning every profile loses points at All Zero, but different amounts of points. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 27
Goodfella

Just received an Experian alert that my FICO dropped 25 points...25 points! No changes in my credit report except 2 months of zero balance on my credit cards. What a racket! No good deed goes unpunished. 

Message 25 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Posts 2-4 in this thread explain it very well. It may not be the most logical thing but it is well-known and -recognized, and easily avoided.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Goodfella wrote:

Just received an Experian alert that my FICO dropped 25 points...25 points! No changes in my credit report except 2 months of zero balance on my credit cards. What a racket! No good deed goes unpunished. 

If you've been at $0 balances on all of your revolvers for 2 months, any AZ penalty should have been realized at least a month ago, not now.  I'd verify that information and double check for something else that may have caused the score drop.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.