Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100 Apps in a day

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 100 Apps in a day

For a long time I really wanted a Bank of America BBR but all the EX damage from comenity spree nixed that. It poisons reputation. FBNO same thing.
Message 51 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That is a really huge lineup but acceptable for somebody with 8 years of history. I have many of those on the list, I didn't get them all in one year. Gotta get over the instant gratification, and realize if ALL spend woulda been thru just amex for example instead of spread through 15 cards you'd be swimming in MR.

An app spree sticking to one Bureau is marginally better but everyone sees the new accounts eventually, and depending on the rest of your profile the other lenders will either ignore it or punish for cheating on them.

If I may, how many?.

Message 52 of 69
sarge12
Senior Contributor

You know, the more I learn about credit scoring, the more I realise that I will never be able to predict my scores. I had 5 hp's in a month and I expected a big drop....and it did not happen. A while back I had a 20 point drop, for absolutely no apparent reason, and I searched through all the metrics comparing to previous report. I think Fico puts a ding against a score every now and then for 1 month just to prevent anyone from figuring out their scoring model using a computer. That may sound crazy, but the scoring model is their bread and butter, and doing so would prevent any computer program from coming up with the exact model through reverse analysis.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 53 of 69
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Thanks OP for the interesting post. Kinda of goes with what I have already experienced. HP do not necessarily affect your score but having a lot of Inq does affect your ability to get credit irregardless of the score. 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 54 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Would you have kept all the cards you applied for if you had been approved? 

Yes I would but depends on the SL - I think after all these, I really should have waited, I could have gotten so much better SL and wouldn't have the "NEED" to keep applying to keep trying to get a higher SL.... I had to close Discover because it was secured and only $300. The rest of the card I have now I can see myself using them all, but I will be sock drawing Chase cards until they can give me a real credit. 

I have my daughter using my $500 AMEX. The other 2 AMEX it's for Auto Bill so I think Im straight, if Capital One doesn't give me a good increase in next month or so I'll keep that in the sock drawer too. I just dont want to worry about UTI....

I learned alot from this and learned alot about myself and my spending habit. 

Message 55 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! This thread was very gratifying, haha.

Message 56 of 69
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For a long time I really wanted a Bank of America BBR but all the EX damage from comenity spree nixed that. It poisons reputation. FBNO same thing.

True.

A classic poison pill that isn't always easy to get over even after closed.

In my case it was EQ trashed and to this day i am still picking up the pieces and refashioning it as they fall off one by one.

Sometimes i think it's just as important WHAT and WHO you choose to have placed on your credit reports as it is to maintain balance/history with them.

I ran into some issues early on that have since been resolved by steering clear of the anchors.

Message 57 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 58 of 69
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

You probably wouldn't be getting approved after the first several because the companies would start to see the pulls. Noawadays the pulls are reported more or less instantly so spreeing isn't as a relevant. The only advantage is the inquiries aging together but that only matters if you plan to continuously apply for things.

I've seen people do a LOT of cards at once but it was typically low limit store cards that pretty much you will get approved for no matter what.

It matters because any inquiry is either zero or a negative damage, and you want ANY negative in the algorithm done and taken right now so that by the time you next need it, your score is as recovered as possible.

Even if you don't apply for things constantly, the idea of spreading applications out makes even less sense: you never know when you might need your credit report to be as pretty as possible so unless one swears off applications altogether, spree.

Anyway regarding the question, someone had a reasonable answer of likely low 700's, that said individual inquiries stop counting after 10 or so per bureau, eventually they just stop hurting from significant diminishing returns similar to other negatives in the algorithm.  1 tax lien, ~70 points, 2 tax liens, an additional 5 points, 3+ tax liens /shrug.  Only so bad anyone's file can get, collections similar.

        
Message 59 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

700s before CLD and balance chase the crap out of anything you're carrying on. Owe 1,500 bucks on a 10k discover and watch it go 95% util. Since the credit game never ends, the thinking is to always try for position for favorable loan terms or sure scoring another flavor of the month. High inquiries messes up that pursuit, the lenders who don't care would discredit on new accounts for sure.

To answer the question about my cards I have 3 comenity left, 6 sync, target, kohls, 2 gas cards, 2 Chase, 2 amex ,1discover, and a quicksilver. Carrying on care credit discover and lowes. Oldest line 20y4mo newest 4mo. I cut 3 cards out this month alone.
Message 60 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.