cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10k purchase will help Fico if paid within a month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10k purchase will help Fico if paid within a month?

I have a medical surgery and have money in my checking but have credits limit to cover? Is it better paying it off througg ACH/Debit Card or use my credit card and pay it off within a month increase FICO score or could it improve also my credit history, or it won't matter, since it's all about credit utilization (30%)

Thank you! 

11 REPLIES 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: 10k purchase will help Fico if paid within a month?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a medical surgery and have money in my checking but have credits limit to cover? Is it better paying it off througg ACH/Debit Card or use my credit card and pay it off within a month increase FICO score or could it improve also my credit history, or it won't matter, since it's all about credit utilization (30%)

Thank you! 

It won't necessarily help your FICO score. FICO score may temporarily suffer if reported utilization is high.

Do you have a cash back rewards card? You could get a certain percentage back.

You're showing your lender that you can manage credit, spending and paying the debt. Building that history with the lender.

You have credit card float.

You may or may not have credit card protection.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have AADvatange miles but it's just going to be 10k worth of miles? What do you think??? I travel miles mostly... 

Message 3 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Any rewards would be better than zero rewards.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, I use CC all the time for this. It's even better when I have a BT offer to float that for 12 months, rather than taking out of savings.

There are no rewards when paying in cash, unless perhaps the Hopsital offer a cash discount. But 10K miles is a free trip somewhere!

And if you haev the cash to pay for it, you can immediately pay it back/down to avoid any UT penalty.

Message 5 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@AllZero wrote:

A motto to live by.  Charging it and paying it won't directly affect your scores in a positive way, but it could certainly help with showing lenders that you can responsibly handle a high balance and pay it off.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s right it could help you get a CLI! Plus rewards!
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

I'm general I think most of us would agree with this. However if they charge a fee to use a card that would be more than your rewards, it's not worth it in my opinion 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is why the cash option is always cheaper. 

One simply has to decide whether the fee is worth the points, which you'ld also be earnining points on the fee too as they include it in with the charge. However, if their fee is a bit excessive on ecould always use Plastiq at 2.5% and still eanr the points.

Message 9 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AllZero wrote:

I'm general I think most of us would agree with this. However if they charge a fee to use a card that would be more than your rewards, it's not worth it in my opinion 

OP didn't state the CC parameters. If there were CC fees, I would agree that it may eat away the rewards.

One could also ask if there was a cash payment discount too.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.