Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 point hit when auto loan paid off...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

12 point hit when auto loan paid off...

So an auto loan gets paid off and lost 12 points on Fico 8 (749-737, it was my oldest @ 5 years that hadn't been paid off.  I have 2 others one 3 years old and one less than a year.   My question is I'm in debt reduction mode and have 9 Revolvers 2 have a balance and will be at AZEO in a month.  Not touching oldest loan for a while but my question is how long should it take to get that Fico 8 back up, I was hoping to have it over 760 with AEZO but now not sure that's possible now.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 12 point hit when auto loan paid off...

What was your before and after overall installment loan utilization with the almost paid off loan factored in first and then with it removed next?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Revolvers 2 of 9 cards with balance 28,900 available 12% usage, this will be 1% on one card later this month.

Loan Debt 50k, 5 year loan paid off,  one for 13.5k opened 2 1/2 years ago and 50% owed, one auto 16k 1 year old 80% owed, one 19.5k 6 months old and 95% owed.   No missed payments

I thinking to maximize get to AZEO then pump a couple grand a month into the newest loans.  Financially they are low low interest rates vs the oldest being a couple points higher, so it seems silly but I need the oldest to stay on my report it appears.  I have several loans that were paid on time dating all the way back to 2010-2021 and I guess I was hoping even though the Auto loan was paid off, that I had since 2016, wouldn't affect the point total that much.  At this point I guess I'm asking how quick is the bounce back...

Message 3 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Revolvers 2 of 9 cards with balance 28,900 available 12% usage, this will be 1% on one card later this month.

Loan Debt 50k, 5 year loan paid off,  one for 13.5k opened 2 1/2 years ago and 50% owed, one auto 16k 1 year old 80% owed, one 19.5k 6 months old and 95% owed.   No missed payments

I thinking to maximize get to AZEO then pump a couple grand a month into the newest loans.  Financially they are low low interest rates vs the oldest being a couple points higher, so it seems silly but I need the oldest to stay on my report it appears.  I have several loans that were paid on time dating all the way back to 2010-2021 and I guess I was hoping even though the Auto loan was paid off, that I had since 2016, wouldn't affect the point total that much.  At this point I guess I'm asking how quick is the bounce back...

You lost points due to the change in aggregate loan utilization-- not the age of your accounts as closed accounts continue to factor into the age metrics for as long as they remain on your reports.  That's why @Anonymous was asking about your loan balances before and after payoff - to determine if/how much aggregate util increased once one loan was paid/closed. 

You need to provide total original loan amount / total balances before payoff and then remaining total original loan amount / remaining total balances after payoff. 

The points lost from increased loan util won't return until aggregate loan util is decreased again (though your scores could rise for other, unrelated reasons).  For the sake of finances, it makes sense to throw your money at the highest interest loan - no point in wasting money on the interest if you don't have to, and certainly not for the sake of FICO.

If your lenders allow you to pay in advance and push your payments out into the future (as opposed to shortening the term of the loan) then you could pay all loans down to under 9% aggregate util (but above $0) to get the largest score boost for the remaining term of the loans.  But once the loans are finally paid off, you will lose points again for having no active installment. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like a Fico 8 issue more than others, I didn't take that hit on the mortgage score which is the relief  since I sold a house last year and building now.  My scores are still good so I'm not that concerned with any besides mortgage and hopefully the AZEO will improve that as well.  Crazy thing about FICO, when you start closely watching all of a sudden point drops become big issues to you but maybe not in the overall lenders mind when scores are good. 

Message 5 of 8
barca
Regular Contributor

As those experts above have indicated, the overall loan utilization is what got you.

When I closed my auto loan in Jan :

• I only lost 3 points on FICO 8 becuase overall loan utilization increased a little.

I gained 2 points on mortgage :

• I guess becuase of number of accounts with balances is reduced by 1
Message 6 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems like a Fico 8 issue more than others, I didn't take that hit on the mortgage score which is the relief  since I sold a house last year and building now.  My scores are still good so I'm not that concerned with any besides mortgage and hopefully the AZEO will improve that as well.  Crazy thing about FICO, when you start closely watching all of a sudden point drops become big issues to you but maybe not in the overall lenders mind when scores are good. 

Yeah exactly - paying off a debt is not an issue to lenders.  Finances over FICO. 

Getting your overall revolving util below 9% and azeo should work out nicely for you scorewise.

Good luck with the new build!

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So an auto loan gets paid off and lost 12 points on Fico 8 (749-737, it was my oldest @ 5 years that hadn't been paid off.  I have 2 others one 3 years old and one less than a year.   My question is I'm in debt reduction mode and have 9 Revolvers 2 have a balance and will be at AZEO in a month.  Not touching oldest loan for a while but my question is how long should it take to get that Fico 8 back up, I was hoping to have it over 760 with AEZO but now not sure that's possible now.

Once your aggregate installment loan utilization gets down to 9% your FICO 8's and 9's will bounce up.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.