Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

150 point drop??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

150 point drop??

Im a little confused. My transunion score is 549, and it was 698 (almost 150!). My equifax score is 528, which is only down 20 from 548. I applied for a high interest rate card of almost 28%.
I was approved for 300. Im trying to increase score. My first payment isn't due until March 25, but I've already made 3 payments. My credit score is horrible because of divorce, medical bills from a bad illness, etc. Most of everything has been written off by collection agencies. When i applied, both scores dropped about 5 points. When i was approved, it dropped a heck of alot more. Why is this?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
brandonneur
Established Member

Re: 150 point drop??

many of us have been in the same situation you've been in over the years.  some on multiple occasions.  you've come to a good place to find answers to a lot of questions.  without knowing your true credit profile it's impossible to say EXACTLY what caused your drop.  also, i'm guessing that is a FAKO score rather than a FICO.  if you don't know those terms then search the forums and start learning.  FAKO is not a true credit rating but a computer modeled guesstimate.  it is also very sensitive to changes to your profile, but settles back rather quickly, unlike FICO.  anyway, start researching there, learn what makes up your scores, and then start using the power of that informaiton to improve your situation if that's in fact what you're looking to do.  good luck!

FICO 08 Scores (05/2016): TU , EQ , EX 520
FICO 08 Scores (08/2018): TU 696, EQ 685, EX 696
FICO 08 Scores (02/2019): TU 689, EQ 698, EX 702

Message 2 of 4
thornback
Senior Contributor

Hi Kenin,  welcome to the forums! 

Given your reference to only TU & EQ scores, I'm guessing you obtained them from Credit Karma.  So, Q: Did your FICO scores drop?

Credit Karma scores are of the Vantage 3 model and respond differently to changes to your overall credit than FICO; it is common to see a drastic difference (higher / lower) between your FICO and Vantage scores (Vantage scores also tend to rebound fairly quickly).   FICO is what lenders use to evaluate your credit, not Vantage.  CK is good for monitoring changes to your reports, but the scores may be ignored as they do not factor into credit decisions.    You should be monitoring your FICO scores -- be concerned if you experience a 150 point FICO drop.

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great reply above. If you aren't taking about a FICO score drop, no need to worry. What is important is that you're looking at your credit reports and ensuring that positive changes are being made over time, as these changes positively impact FICO scores.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.