cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

16 years later - on the cusp of zero credit card debt. Can I leave it at zero and be done?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

16 years later - on the cusp of zero credit card debt. Can I leave it at zero and be done?

When I was 18 I got my first credit card - fast forward 16 years and I have always carried a balance. Poor financial choices on my end. I had decided enough was enough! Over the last few months I have been grinding out my last 11k. I'm proud to say come the end of the month I will pay OFF my final balance once and for all.

I would like to believe i'm at a place where I will be responsible with my cards and only pay in full. With that said, do I need to report a balance? I would prefer (if possible) to just leave them at zero. I have a car loan and student loans (deferred) will these be enough to keep the Credit Gods happy? 

I was originally thinking I would put all of my purchaes through my Citi card. Pay all but a few dollars, let the statement cut showing a few bucks (nothing crazy < $100). Every month pay the statement balance in full but make sure that there's a balance before the statement cuts. Doing this would allow me to utilize my rewards, avoid interest and show some usage.

Every few months I'll use one of my other cards for a small purcahse to keep them open and pay in full.

What're your thoughts? Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

Re: 16 years later - on the cusp of zero credit card debt. Can I leave it at zero and be done?

Thats frickin awesome!  CONGRATS on your hard work and determination!  Check out the AZEO method.  Looks like you are right up that alley.    

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 2 of 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: 16 years later - on the cusp of zero credit card debt. Can I leave it at zero and be done?

Congrats, that is great

lately it seems like the small purchases may not be enough to keep a card open, so i would cycle a little more money through any of the ones you really want to keep open

but your plan is a good one!

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will look that up right now! Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 5 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Congrats!

Q: I would like to believe i'm at a place where I will be responsible with my cards and only pay in full. With that said, do I need to report a balance? I would prefer (if possible) to just leave them at zero. I have a car loan and student loans (deferred) will these be enough to keep the Credit Gods happy? 

A: You don't have to report a balance, but you will take a scoring penalty if all revolving cards are reporting $0.  You are more of a risk if you are not currently using your revolving credit.

Q: I was originally thinking I would put all of my purchaes through my Citi card. Pay all but a few dollars, let the statement cut showing a few bucks (nothing crazy < $100). Every month pay the statement balance in full but make sure that there's a balance before the statement cuts. Doing this would allow me to utilize my rewards, avoid interest and show some usage.

A: This is perfectly reasonable and would maximize your credit score.  However, unless you would be very heavily using the card's limit each month and would be applying for new credit, it may be additional work without a need.  Just taking the natural course of making purchases and paying the full statement balance prior to the due date would also allow you to do all of those things without having to micromanage the account and possibly make multiple payments each statement cycle.

Message 6 of 8
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous    They have pretty much said it all Congrats on your success and Keep up the great work!

Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was 18 I got my first credit card - fast forward 16 years and I have always carried a balance. Poor financial choices on my end. I had decided enough was enough! Over the last few months I have been grinding out my last 11k. I'm proud to say come the end of the month I will pay OFF my final balance once and for all.

I would like to believe i'm at a place where I will be responsible with my cards and only pay in full. With that said, do I need to report a balance? I would prefer (if possible) to just leave them at zero. I have a car loan and student loans (deferred) will these be enough to keep the Credit Gods happy? 

I was originally thinking I would put all of my purchaes through my Citi card. Pay all but a few dollars, let the statement cut showing a few bucks (nothing crazy < $100). Every month pay the statement balance in full but make sure that there's a balance before the statement cuts. Doing this would allow me to utilize my rewards, avoid interest and show some usage.

Every few months I'll use one of my other cards for a small purcahse to keep them open and pay in full.

What're your thoughts? Thank you!

It will help your scores to report a small balance on one card each month before you pay it off.

It can be $10 or $20, doesn't have to be a lot.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.