Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

17 Point drop for paying off credit card!? Logic Insanity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

17 Point drop for paying off credit card!? Logic Insanity

It sometimes amazes me how credit agencys actually calculate their score. 

I have a high amount in credit for years and cards with the heavy hitters, and the only balance I've had over my multiple cards was with Discover. I just paid it off last week, and now I have zero debt showing ( besides my car )

So for paying off everything, I lost 17 points from EXP. Seriously? 17 Points? I lost 16 when I paid off my last car loan 8 months ago, but for paying off a credit card? Comeon. I can't wait to see how it affects TU and EQ

I literally just canceled myfico a few days ago cause I figured " Hey I don't need it, I dont forsee any real notiable increases or drops anytime soon " and then BAM, get this notification today, a few days before it stops showing me

Now I have to keep it for another month or 2 to see if I can recover. Mind you I still have 745 as the score with exp, but GEEZ, I want a mortage in the next 6 - 12 months. 

So do I seriously need to actually KEEP a balance owed for me to get a better score? 

Dumb logic

Sorry, I was just venting ;]

UPDATE: EQ dropped 17 points also

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 17 Point drop for paying off credit card!? Logic Insanity

A quick search on the site will show that there is a FICO scoring penalty for having zero utilization among your revolving credit accounts.
Message 2 of 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

A customer that is using absolutely none of their revolving credit is a higher risk than someone that is showing mild (or even moderate) use of their credit.  You don't need to carry a balance from month-to-month and pay interest, but you do need to use at minimum one card and let a balance post when your statement closes (then pay the full "statement balance" amount prior to the due date approximately 25-28 days later to avoid interest).  AZEO (all zero except one) would give you the highest amount of points, where none of your credit cards have a balance, except one which is reporting a balance under 9% of its credit limit (at least $5 with most accounts to avoid being rounded down to $0).

Utilization has no memory, so if you use any of your credit cards and let a statement balance post, you will immediately gain those points back when your balance is reported to the credit bureaus the following month.  No need for alarm with a mortgage application that far out, just make sure you don't have $0 showing all around when it's time to apply (and later on if they do an additional credit pull prior to finalizing your approval).

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: Equifax just dropped 17 points for the same reason. 

Well I have a card I left a balance on posting today, so I guess I'll know soon enough if the points come back. I left a balance around the same as the one I paid off so we will see

Thank you for all the help. I will update

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks to the other folks who have so helpfully chimed in. 

Yeah, just one more voice to reassure you: all the points will come back.  To rule out any weird corner cases, however, the card that is showing a positive balance should be:

(1)  A true major credit card (not a charge card or a store card)

(2)  A card in your name (not an AU card)

(3)  A card with a credit limit of < 34.9k

The balance can be quite small: as our other friend mentioned, $5 is fine.

If you have at least one card meeting the criteria above, FICO will pereceive you as a person who uses his cards and the penalty will disappear.

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It sometimes amazes me how credit agencys actually calculate their score. 

I have a high amount in credit for years and cards with the heavy hitters, and the only balance I've had over my multiple cards was with Discover. I just paid it off last week, and now I have zero debt showing ( besides my car )

So for paying off everything, I lost 17 points from EXP. Seriously? 17 Points? I lost 16 when I paid off my last car loan 8 months ago, but for paying off a credit card? Comeon. I can't wait to see how it affects TU and EQ

I literally just canceled myfico a few days ago cause I figured " Hey I don't need it, I dont forsee any real notiable increases or drops anytime soon " and then BAM, get this notification today, a few days before it stops showing me

Now I have to keep it for another month or 2 to see if I can recover. Mind you I still have 745 as the score with exp, but GEEZ, I want a mortage in the next 6 - 12 months. 

So do I seriously need to actually KEEP a balance owed for me to get a better score? 

Dumb logic

Sorry, I was just venting ;]

UPDATE: EQ dropped 17 points also

As others have noted, it is well known that FICO 8 imposes a penalty if all revolving accounts report a zero balance. The penalty does not occur if there is one card reporting a small balance, even as little as $5 or $10.

It is not nearly as well known what effect, if any, it would have on your other FICO scores. Since you are applying for a mortgage in the near future, your real interest is in the mortgage scores: EQ FICO 5, TU FICO 4, and EX FICO 2.

So I would suggest keeping MyFICO until your mortgage is signed, sealed, and delivered.

And by the way, I agree with you that it is "dumb" but disagree with you that it is "logic" Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.