cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2% Util --> 9 point dip on EQ FICO 8?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: 2% Util --> 9 point dip on EQ FICO 8?

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@iv wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Bizarrely, EQ dropped another 3 points when another card reported taking me to 2.5% utilization and 8 out of 19 cards reporting.

Once again, EX and TU were unmoved.

Are you sure it's just not a difference in triggers between the CRAs?

(IE: did EX and TU send an alert, but with unchanged scores, or did only EQ send an alert?)

Only EQ sent alert

This is becoming less interesting as it becomes clear that only EQ cares. I.e. this 12 point drop appears to be strictly an EQ thing, not a FICO 8 thing.

And I'm guessing it's just a temporary EQ thing at that.

I think I figured out what may have caused the 12 point drop in EQ and not in TU & EX, and it isn't the change in utilization.

In playing around with the simulator, it was saying that my EQ score would drop 10 points, and neither of my other scores would move, if I were to add a card or increase my credit limits. Actually I did both. It appears that EQ doesn't want me to add any credit availability, while TU and EX would neither punish nor reward me for it.

I hope this doesn't mean I have to start cancelling cards. I love those little suckers, each and every one of them, even the ugly BCE card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 21 of 36
JLK93
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@iv wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Bizarrely, EQ dropped another 3 points when another card reported taking me to 2.5% utilization and 8 out of 19 cards reporting.

(IE: did EX and TU send an alert, but with unchanged scores, or did only EQ send an alert?)

Only EQ sent alert

This is becoming less interesting as it becomes clear that only EQ cares. I.e. this 12 point drop appears to be strictly an EQ thing, not a FICO 8 thing.

I think I figured out what may have caused the 12 point drop in EQ and not in TU & EX, and it isn't the change in utilization.

In playing around with the simulator, it was saying that my EQ score would drop 10 points, and neither of my other scores would move, if I were to add a card or increase my credit limits. Actually I did both. It appears that EQ doesn't want me to add any credit availability, while TU and EX would neither punish nor reward me for it.

I hope this doesn't mean I have to start cancelling cards. I love those little suckers, each and every one of them, even the ugly BCE card.

FICO scores are not influenced by the number of cards you have or your credit limits.

Did adding another card cause you to cross an AAoA threshold?

Message 22 of 36
JLK93
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@iv wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Only EQ sent alert

You're not receiveing EX and TU alerts for balance changes?

Message 23 of 36
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Thanks.

I just want to re-confirm my EQ Fico 04 punishment [that I think relates to AMEX] as previously experienced back in February.

* At that time my AMEX was reporting 49% B/HB but I also had 6 of 6 cards reporting. This time AMEX will be 100% with "only" 4 of 6 reporting.

Ok - couldn't wait until the 26th and pulled my 3B today. My AMEX charge card did report $1997 and does show 100% B/HB. Total cards reporting a balance was 5 of 6 - BB card slipped in with $33.

As expected and shown previously, no change in Classic Fico 08 or Classic Fico 09 scores. As before all EQ Fico 04 scores (mortgage & enhanced) took a big hit. Pretty sure now that the AMEX charge card is the culprit in the EQ Fico 04 deep dives - none of the credit cards posted more than 2% utilization. Dip not as severe as in February - possibly because there is no inquiry on file or perhaps because 5 of 6 cards reported instead of 6 of 6 cards.

Note 1: There were no charges on AMEX card for the 3/2016 and 12/2015 3B reports.

Note 2: Experian appears to be using older data. Classic Fico 04 stayed at 830 and Bankcard Fico 08 was 900. Those results are not consistent with 5 of 6 cards reporting balances and AMEX at 100% B/HB.

Fico 3B table 7-2016.jpg

* AMEX charge card balance is included in the aggregate utilization for July 2016. Without AMEX, AG UT would be less than March 2016.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 24 of 36
JLK93
Established Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Thanks.

I just want to re-confirm my EQ Fico 04 punishment [that I think relates to AMEX] as previously experienced back in February.

* At that time my AMEX was reporting 49% B/HB but I also had 6 of 6 cards reporting. This time AMEX will be 100% with "only" 4 of 6 reporting.

Ok - couldn't wait until the 26th and pulled my 3B today. My AMEX charge card did report $1997 and does show 100% B/HB. Total cards reporting a balance was 5 of 6 - BB card slipped in with $33.

As expected and shown previously, no change in Classic Fico 08 or Classic Fico 09 scores. As before all EQ Fico 04 scores (mortgage & enhanced) took a big hit. Pretty sure now that the AMEX charge card is the culprit in the EQ Fico 04 deep dives - none of the credit cards posted more than 2% utilization. Dip not as severe as in February - possibly because there is no inquiry on file or perhaps because 5 of 6 cards reported instead of 6 of 6 cards.

Note 1: There were no charges on AMEX card for the 3/2016 and 12/2015 3B reports.

Note 2: Experian appears to be using older data. Classic Fico 04 stayed at 830 and Bankcard Fico 08 was 900. Those results are not consistent with 5 of 6 cards reporting balances and AMEX at 100% B/HB.

Fico score table 7-2016.jpg

Thomas_Thumb,

You went from 3 of 6 cards reporting and 2.1 utilization to 5 of 6 cards reporting and 3.1 utilization. I'm not sure that it is necessary to asume that the AMEX charge card figured into the points loss.

You took less of a hit on EQ 04 with 5 out of 6 cards reporting than with 6 out of 6 cards reporting in February. That is not exactly inconsistent.

It could very well be that the AMEX charge card was the culprit, but charge card effect is not really isolated.

Last year I dropped from 780 on EQ 04 with 2 cards reporting to 769 with 4 cards reporting (all <1%) to 758 with 5 cards reporting and 1 card at 8.61%. Aggregate utilization was <1% in all cases. Of course, I am positive that I was experiencing a different Score Card treatment of inquiries than you are currently experiencing.

Although I have no personal experience in this matter, it has always been my understanding that FICO 04 ignores charge card utilization.

Message 25 of 36
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

The charge card should not factor in. However, I have investigated this in detail and EQ has it coded differently than TU and EX. I filed a dispute with EQ last year and submitted info from AMEX but no success. EQ is still reporting it abnormally.

The AMEX is having an effect on EQ Fico 04 score relative to the other CRA Fico 04 scores - IMO it is a near certainty. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 26 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@oilcan12 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@iv wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Only EQ sent alert

FICO scores are not influenced by the number of cards you have or your credit limits.

If it had, don't you think it would have affected TU & EX too?

Message 27 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@oilcan12 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@iv wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Only EQ sent alert

You're not receiveing EX and TU alerts for balance changes?

Yes I am receiving the same alerts... but the scores are holding steady.

Message 28 of 36
JLK93
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@oilcan12 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@iv wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Only EQ sent alert

If it had, don't you think it would have affected TU & EX too?

Maybe. Maybe not.

I don't personally see a problem with EQ 08 dropping 12 points and EX and TU remaining unaffected. FICO score changes for different bureaus aren't always the same.

Message 29 of 36
JLK93
Established Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

The charge card should not factor in. However, I have investigated this in detail and EQ has it coded differently than TU and EX. I filed a dispute with EQ last year and submitted info from AMEX but no success. EQ is still reporting it abnormally.

The AMEX is having an effect on EQ Fico 04 score relative to the other CRA Fico 04 scores - IMO it is a near certainty. 

Thomas_Thumb,

That is very interesting information about you charge card being coded differently on EQ. Have to called the AMEX credit bureau number to see if they can do anything to get it coded correctly?

It would certainly be interesting if you could isolate the charge card effect a little more in a future experiment. I'm not suggesting that the charge card utilization could not have caused the score drop on EQ 04. I'm just pointing out that, on occasion, FICO scores for different bureaus can behave quite differently. 

The table below demonstrates the potential differences in behavior of EQ 04 and TU 04 for a particular Score Card. In my current Score Card I would not expect to see such a big difference.

11/22/20152/13/2016
# Cards Reporting Balances24
Aggregate Utilization< 1%< 1%
Highest Card Utilization< 1%< 1%

EQ 04791769
TU 04824824
Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.