Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 point drop on EX after new car loan reported

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

24 point drop on EX after new car loan reported

There is a 24 point drop on my EX after the new car loan appeared. I am planning on paying it off by 60% and see if I gain any scores.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 24 point drop on EX after new car loan reported

concorduser wrote:
There is a 24 point drop on my EX after the new car loan appeared. I am planning on paying it off by 60% and see if I gain any scores.

Didn't you just do something like this a few months ago?

I thought for sure I read a post about 6 months ago where you got a new installment loan and were going to see what happened if you paid off 60% of it right away.
Message 2 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Same thing happend to me earlier this month with EX (-17 points).  TU and EQ had no change.  Yet.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The score drop is short lived. Most likely get around 10 points back after 60 days. Smiley Happy There is the newer than 60 day thing I always got hit with.
Message 4 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Yes, I paid off my last installment loan and got new loan to keep the mix. Last loan when I paid off 60% my scores got good boost. I am going to do it again for this loan and my scores should bounce back when the next statement cuts and balance updates. By the way I lost only 11 points on TU. Still waiting to post it on EQ then I'll pull EQ also and see what effect it might have on EQ scores.

cheddar wrote:

concorduser wrote:

Didn't you just do something like this a few months ago?

I thought for sure I read a post about 6 months ago where you got a new installment loan and were going to see what happened if you paid off 60% of it right away.

Message 5 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

concorduser wrote:
By the way I lost only 11 points on TU. Still waiting to post it on EQ then I'll pull EQ also and see what effect it might have on EQ scores.
I did not see a change on my TU, EQ scores as a result of paying of the old loan and getting a new one.  I would really like to know why not just for myself but for others as well.

Did you have any other new accounts this year?  I had a new Visa which I got back in November and my only other installment account is my mortgage which is 5 years old.  I also assume I am in the major derog score bucket with a 120 day lates on my CR.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I know I got a brisk wet towel snap from EX when my car loan hit, but there was so much else going on at the time that I couldn't really separate out the damage and the recovery time. But my EX score went from 752 down to 675, and is now back to 723, in just six months with 8 new accounts, so it couldn't have been too bad.

I'm thinking that for anyone who wants installment loan credit on their reports, the solution is to get a signature loan from a credit union with simple interest, pay off 90% of it immediately, and then send in $5 a month for the next three years. At least I think that it's simple interest where you can do this. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I think their complaint is amount of outstanding balance on the installment loan. I am going to bring it down by 35-45% before the next statement balance posts. I am sure my scores should go up substantially. Let us see what happens once the next statement balance posts.
Message 8 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

No score drop on EQ when the new car loan appeared. Smiley Happy
Interesting. TU and EX did not like and there is score drop on them.
Message 9 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Brisk wet towel snap.Smiley Happy For the record I got no luv from EQ or EX when I paid my car loan down from 25K to 4K. TU liked it. Score pop from 717-731 month over month. EQ and EX yawned.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.