Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$3 card balance paid off dropped EXP 8 by 20 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$3 card balance paid off dropped EXP 8 by 20 points

Today my Experian score dropped by 20 points because I paid the $3 balance on my card last month and it now reported out. I usually pay in full each month but a late dropping transaction squeezed in before close. My score did not go up any when the $3 reported out last month but today it's dropped by 20 for paying it off.  How could this change mean that I'm suddenly a worse risk for credit? This makes no sense.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: $3 card balance paid off dropped EXP 8 by 20 points

If that is your only card, you get Penalized for No amount reporting

all CC's reporting zero will drop your score

have 1 report $3-5 and you will likely get all those points back

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this explains it then. Currently in underwriting for mortgage with new home build and they wanted all three zeroed out prior to the pull which I did. Luckily it's not going to change rate for the loan but it freaked me out. After close I'll cycle back to a tiny balance. Should I do it on just one card or all three?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

RSX explained it perfectly. Your scores went down due to no reporting balance - whether it's your only card or not. Same thing happened to me several days ago. I usually put AZEO, but the way I was revolving my cards this month, the card I left a balance on hasn't reported yet, so for another few days I'm reporting zero. Therefore, lost several points because of this. However, scores will rise again once my last account reports to CB's.

Message 4 of 8
RSX
Valued Contributor

Just one of the 3

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, this explains it then. Currently in underwriting for mortgage with new home build and they wanted all three zeroed out prior to the pull which I did. Luckily it's not going to change rate for the loan but it freaked me out. After close I'll cycle back to a tiny balance. Should I do it on just one card or all three?

I found this out the hard way. Sometimes people who work in the industry do not understand how scoring works. They should have never told you to zero out everything. You want one card with a small balance reporting for maximum mortgage scorring. $10-$15 should be enough.

Message 6 of 8
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I found this out the hard way. Sometimes people who work in the industry do not understand how scoring works. They should have never told you to zero out everything. You want one card with a small balance reporting for maximum mortgage scorring. $10-$15 should be enough.

Hey Morpho.  Just an FYI regarding my profile:  My MTG score was not negatively impacted by zero revolvers reporting.  EX was the only one I could monitor on that date.   The one time I did this in 2018 my 8's took a hit but not EX2.  I agree some lenders seem to know little about how scores work but maybe, just maybe (giving the lender the benefit of the doubt Smiley Indifferent) he didn't know (care) about the impact to other score models Smiley Happy

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 7 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Optimally, just one.

But let's put this whole discussion in context: it's your FICO 8 that was affected, not your mortgage scores. Most likely your mortgage scores didn't even budge.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.