3 credit cards vs 1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3 credit cards vs 1

@dunn2500 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dunn2500 wrote:

my DTI is very low like 2% as well as my utilization....1 med collection from 5yrs ago on TU and rest is all good.....excellent history just only have the 1 card.....thanks for all help

experian is recommending chase saphhire, discover, CO platinum says its "matched for me".....whatever that means or is

@dunn2500 Don't pay attention to what they say that's just marketing. But with that said Discover would probably be a good match as would American Express. how old is that card that you have?

There are some great pre-qualification sites and some poor ones, and there are some institutions that give cards with soft pulls, (but again that penalty goes away in 365 days so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme).

I would recommend seeing what fits your spend and tell us what that is, maybe we can point you in the right direction and maybe check out some of the threads about good prequalification sites and check those, what are your scores now?

fico 8 is  690 avg and fico 9 is 723 avg......my bankcard and mortage scores seem to range highest for some reason....think 752 on one bankcard model but older version......all my fico 9 is over 700 .....just paid auto few more months in advanced so they should rise a bit and if i played my card right this time i should get my 14 pts back they snatched over $1 (that was paid on time), lol...not really it pissed me off!.....scores seem fine its just lack of history with cards

just decent cards i can keep and use for along time....i am pretty simple, as life changes so does your needs....card i have now ill keep but never use once a better one comes in.....i do like idea of someone accessing your CC over debit though.....more protection

soft pull is better and ill look into pre qual

@dunn2500  You have any current loans? If so, then yes I like the idea of Discover and Navy! Wait for Chase, too new. 

Message 21 of 45
NRB525
Super Contributor

@dunn2500 wrote:

my DTI is very low like 2% as well as my utilization....1 med collection from 5yrs ago on TU and rest is all good.....excellent history just only have the 1 card.....thanks for all help

experian is recommending chase saphhire, discover, CO platinum says its "matched for me".....whatever that means or is

How much is the medical collection?

What bank and card brand is your $300 limit CC?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 45
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dunn2500 wrote:

yeah i only use credit cards to build credit....again not looking to live my life off of them.....if they have few perks great but the card i have is only few months old so not much history......i also have construction business and have for last 16 yrs ( residence 11 yrs)...licensed general contractor but just never played credit game....but i understand auto loan has collaterral where CC doesnt so lenders more hesitant....maybe one day i will shuffle cards for perks but for right now i just want higher score....Why? i dont really know it just seems important and since i have ball rolling why not go all the way...i believe business adds another twist to credit game as well but ill look at cards suggested

i know this scenario sounds strange but i have stayed small and stayed in business thru some tough times, if i had debt it would have blown up on me in 2008 and few other times so I am lucky i feel

what about NFCU?....read about their cards here all the time and i am a member with 2 accts in excellent standing...they have been awesome  so far....are their cards decent with easier approval for newbies?

they were certainly far better than banks for my truck loan....easiest process ive ever had tbh

Yes definitely. NFCU should be your first choice. IMHO best customer service in the business, excellent web site.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 23 of 45
dunn2500
Established Contributor

the med is 1k and 5 yrs ago

Message 24 of 45
dunn2500
Established Contributor

i have a credit one card and ill check with Navy.......what is AZEO and also 91/3?

Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

All zero except one, it refers to the concept of only leaving a small balance on one card when you have more than one.

91/3 means you wait three full statements before you ask for a credit limit increase.

Do you have any loans?
Message 26 of 45
dunn2500
Established Contributor

yes 1 auto loan

Message 27 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just asking because if you did not you could get a short term boost from the SSLT on versions eight and nine
Message 28 of 45
dunn2500
Established Contributor

my fico 9 scores are higher than fico 8.....min of 30pts up to 75pts in some models

Message 29 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven’t been able to figure out version 9. It’s funky. Sometimes it goes the opposite direction of eight for no explicable reason that I’ve been able to ascertain.
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.