Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 cards at 11-12% or 2 cards at < 29%?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

4 cards at 11-12% or 2 cards at < 29%?

I am currently carrying balances that I plan to have paid off in the next year on 0% cards.   I know I cant max my score with these balances, in the meantime, is it better to have 2 cards at a higher %  or more cards at less?  Overall UTI is no different, but does how the balances are spreadout matter?

Thanks for any insight/experience anyone may have. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4 cards at 11-12% or 2 cards at < 29%?

It will be easier to answer your question if we know how many cards you have total.  We know you have at least four cards.  Do you have exactly four cards?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 9 total cards, 4 which have a balance. Total UTI is 12%. If I move to just 2, each card would be about 25% or so.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There will be no scoring penalty.  There's no evidence I know of that there is any individual utilization penalty at lower than 29%.

On the contrary, it's conceivable that there could be a scoring benefit since you will have a smaller percentage of your cards reporting a positive balance.  Still you are already at < 49% of your cards showing a balance, so perhaps there will be no benefit.

Message 4 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

2/9 was no penalty for me under FICO 8.

3/9 was a small penalty for me under EQ FICO 8 (-3), not on EX nor TU.  

5/9 was the next negative breakpoint for all 3 bureaus, -4 EQ, -7/-8 for the other two.

This was on a dirty birdy scorecard so YMMV on point values.

Wouldn't worry about it but if I were trying to ruthlessly short order optimize it, I'd go with the 2/9.

        
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

With 9 cards, I wouldn't expect the OP to see much of a difference at all in rolling with 2 of 9 or 4 of 9 reporting balances.  It could be profile (scorecard) specific.  As many know, I have allowed up to and over 50% of my cards report balances and have not seen an adverse scoring reaction, but others have reported minor drops from doing so.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.