cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 to 6 years...and no improvement on credit score!

tag
sparky2star
Established Member

Re: 5 to 6 years...and no improvement on credit score!

@jamie123 wrote:

As far as your other question...I think I understand, but let me clarify. The debt is for 7k and is a judgment that is on my collections sections of my report (Myfico). They are attorneys that aren't particularly friendly. I recall one letter saying that they may reneTw the judgment or something to that effect if and when the 7 years come around. They haven't sent me a letter for over a year, so...

This is a perfect "let sleeping dogs lie" scenario. Yes, I believe in some States judgements can be renewed for up to 24 years! I would suggest not doing anything and hoping that they forget to renew the judgement. If they renew the judgement you can always tackle that when it happens.

You want to get a SSL for the longest term possible. It seems that most people gain about 20 points by having an open installment loan on their reports. Thet's why you want the longest term possible. Once you pay this loan off you lose the points unless you have another open installment loan. You want to make sure that you have about $550 in your savings account when you take out the loan. The extra $50 should cover the interest expenses. Set up auto payments from the savings account to pay the loan and you will never have to worry about it. They will cut you a check for the $500 loan so you are really only out $50 for getting this loan.

Thanks Jamie! 

I agree about the letting the sleeping dogs lie...we'll see if anything even comes up.

As far as the loan and such. I would've thought you got more than 20 points but I think there are other factors that come into play...Got it. Thanks for taking the time to write this! 

Message 41 of 69
sparky2star
Established Member

Thanks for everyone's insight & help! I certainly have a game plan to move forward.

Cheers!

Message 42 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

The SSL can give you 15-45 points depending on profile.

But, you don't get the big points until you cross below the 8.9% installment threshold, (aggregate).
Message 43 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgments are no longer reported by the CRAs. They can be renewed depending on state law, but still not gonna hit your CR.

No doubt the multiple baddies are keeping score down. When the last falls off, you'll be great, if you establish some TLs now.
Message 44 of 69
nmk94
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Judgments are no longer reported by the CRAs. They can be renewed depending on state law, but still not gonna hit your CR.

Does this mean mean judgements don't affect your scores? Only the collection?

1/24 - EX 831 | EQ 830 | TU 824
12/22 - EX 794 | EQ 799 | TU 741
9/20 - EX 726 | EQ 710 | TU 720
8/20 - EX 686 | EQ 678 | TU 675
7/20 - EX 671 | EQ 657 | TU 659
04/20 - EX 649 | EQ 645 | TU 661
11/17 - EX 614 | EQ 626 | TU 612
Goal - EX 750 | EX 750 | TU 750
Message 45 of 69
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@nmk94 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is a link to the new law that affected tax liens and judgments: 

https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/credit-score-increase-removal-tax-liens/

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 46 of 69
sparky2star
Established Member

@CreditInspired wrote:

@nmk94 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is a link to the new law that affected tax liens and judgments: 

https://www.creditkarma.com/advice/i/credit-score-increase-removal-tax-liens/

Nice find!

Message 47 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nmk94 Correct, judgments do not affect your score. Yes collections do affect your scores.
Message 48 of 69
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Um my understanding was if they comply with the new standard they do still factor.

Just most didn’t and may still not; I suspect the data providers will fix that over time just with how slow most counties are on their IT side it’ll take awhile.

        
Message 49 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that they could include them if they complied. But that due to the costs/headaches, the CRAs just decided to create a policy not to report them at all.

Per Experian: "... Experian no longer shows judgment and tax lien information as part of a consumer's credit history.
Bankruptcy is now the only public record information that is collected routinely by the national credit reporting companies, including Experian."

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/judgments-no-longer-included-on-credit-report/

Message 50 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.