cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 point difference in Vantage TU/EQ & FICO EX after mortgage

tag
daslax

50 point difference in Vantage TU/EQ & FICO EX after mortgage

I'm curious why there's such a large spread between the Vantage scores I'm seeing on Credit Karma for EQ (770), TU (764) & the FICO score I'm seeing in the EX app (819).

Some of the factors that could be in play here:
  • I paid off a mortgage in June 2021 and took out a new one in Feb 2022
  • HPs showing on my reports: 5/TU, 6/EQ, 7/EX. Three of these HPs on each report are associated with the mortgage process (2 within days of each other in 12/21, the third 3 weeks later in 1/22). EQ/TU show these all on the correct dates, EX shows two of them with 4/21 dates (??). I know these are supposed to only count as one HP, but sharing the detail in case it's relevant
  • 3% credit utilization across accounts, with one Chase card at exactly 20% and $10k showing on an Amex charge card (pay over time with 0% APR)
All three were over 800 prior to the mortgage, so is this a matter of EX or FICO scoring handling the mortgage or associated HPs differently? Do I need to do anything to get the HPs combined at the others? 
2 REPLIES 2
TheKid2
Frequent Contributor

Re: 50 point difference in Vantage TU/EQ & FICO EX after mortgage

@daslax wrote:
I'm curious why there's such a large spread between the Vantage scores I'm seeing on Credit Karma for EQ (770), TU (764) & the FICO score I'm seeing in the EX app (819).

Some of the factors that could be in play here:
  • I paid off a mortgage in June 2021 and took out a new one in Feb 2022
  • HPs showing on my reports: 5/TU, 6/EQ, 7/EX. Three of these HPs on each report are associated with the mortgage process (2 within days of each other in 12/21, the third 3 weeks later in 1/22). EQ/TU show these all on the correct dates, EX shows two of them with 4/21 dates (??). I know these are supposed to only count as one HP, but sharing the detail in case it's relevant
  • 3% credit utilization across accounts, with one Chase card at exactly 20% and $10k showing on an Amex charge card (pay over time with 0% APR)
All three were over 800 prior to the mortgage, so is this a matter of EX or FICO scoring handling the mortgage or associated HPs differently? Do I need to do anything to get the HPs combined at the others? 

Welcome to the forums!

I'll start by asking, why are you concerned about your Vantage score? It won't be used for any lending decision. Your FICO scores are what really matters. Is 810 your EX FICO 8 score?

That said, the models are different between the algorithms (VS versus FICO) and will even vary between versions (VS 3 versus 4, FICO 2 versus 8 versus 9, etc).

If you do a 3B pull on MyFICO you will see all your FICO scores.

JOINED 4/2020

FICO 8 = 582, 620, 589 / Mortgage = 633, 526, 581

CURRENT PEAK *Thanks to the MF Community!

FICO 8 = 715, 711, 720 / Mortgage = 688, 696, 681

Message 2 of 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: 50 point difference in Vantage TU/EQ & FICO EX after mortgage

I wouldn't worry about what's going on with Vantagescores. They're simply not used by any lenders (with the exception of Synchrony bank, but even they use VS 4.0, not 3.0, which is what you see on CK). Vantagescores are a lot more volatile and can definitely differ greatly from FICO scores. You're basically comparing apples to oranges.

As far as HPs, they all count as one for scoring purposes as far as the FICO algorithm is concerned (so long as they're all done within 30 days and are coded correctly), but they all will still show up individually on your report. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.