cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

650 score to 555 due to "Reporting Date" ????

tag
dlbomber1
Established Member

650 score to 555 due to "Reporting Date" ????

So ive been in my fico for a little while now and ive been extremely estatic that my credit is finally looking alive again. I went from a low 501 to a nice 650 and then one day 3 creditors that I had disputed suddenly reported a very recent date. It went from may 2007 to may 2011 and my score dropped like a rock that day. I keep reading people say that those reporting dates do nothing but im here to bare witness that they do. I looked at the updates reports and "nothing changed at all" so my question is is this legal? Can this be disputed or changed? I saw this occur within 3 days it went from 2007 to 2007 the first update then 3 days later it came back as 2011. I have had my truecredit monitoring document these very frequent changes. The "open date" stayed the same but the "reporting date" seems to be the culprit. Any "TRUE" knowledge would help. How can i fix this ?

Just thinking how i spent years getitng the 650 and in 1 day it gets dropped and these are "PAID" accounts.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 650 score to 555 due to "Reporting Date" ????

A dispute will usually change that date because the OC/CA has to update the credit report and therefore the date reported changes. It is possible to loose points due to a dispute though it varies with which field was updated, which CRA was impacted, and which FICO score was used.

Now I've used TC in the past. I'd suggest pulling your reports directly from the CRA to see if there was any other added info. For example, TC only shows a 2 year history and the CRs directly from each CRA will show all 7 years. I'd check to see if there were any added lates or comments that could have impacted this.

Also, is the 50-point change from the VantageScores from TC or are you basing this off your FICO scores from here?

Message 2 of 15
dlbomber1
Established Member

I am basing it off of here and TC. I initially saw the drop here on my alert and it showed the same 3 accounts in which had no change according to myfico yet on TC it showed those same 3 accounts and the report date was updated and no change but my score dropped.  I am seeing a history of this for over a year and they would put it back to the original date and put it up to a recent date. I would see my score go up and down. I would imagine this wasnt something they could continue to do because if these are already paid this effects consumers scores tremendsouly. I was in process of buying a home and I had a 650 and she informed me I had a 555 and we looked and saw this issue. So I wanted to see if anyone had seen this ( have read in other areas they have) but I want to know if anyone has been able to fix this. I have seen the date go back and forth.

Message 3 of 15
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Be sure not to compare the scores from TC and here. They are two totally different scores. The ones via here are FICO scores which run on a scale of 300-850 and the ones at TC are FAKOs called VantageScores and those run on a scale of 501-990. Lenders generally don't use the non-FICO scores offered via TC. Virtually all lenders use FICO scores as found on here and a couple of other sources.

Unfortunately the reported date will change with each dispute. I could be wrong, but I think OCs/CAs must update that each time they update the report. And it could be automatic too. A score drop is common as a result of a dispute (if you compared the before and after scores through myFICO). What I would do is focus on removing it as opposed to fixing it. If paid, send GW letters asking for deletion and your scores will rebound and then some.

Message 4 of 15
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

What was the status of the account(s) that were disputed? What was status after the dispute? IE Current paid collection charge off etc.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 15
dlbomber1
Established Member

Paid collections, they had been paid for awhile

Message 6 of 15
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Where they paid collections when you disputed them ?

Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Message 7 of 15
dlbomber1
Established Member

Yes,

they were paid in 2008 and when disputed they came back with updated report dates with todays date. suddenly my scores dropped severely.

Message 8 of 15
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Whatever was disputed it was necesary for the creditor to re-report the account to resvole the dispute.  The re-reporting is making the account look like it is a recent paid collection in the FICO scoring when in reality it is not.; Hence the drop in the score.

Message 9 of 15
dlbomber1
Established Member

Exactly! You would think mortgage agents would know this but they dont care. I was wondering how to resolve this because if you look all around this forum you dont hear how this happens everyday. If I dispute something to correct it, it should reflect me as something bad.This deters you from disputing anything . Is there anything I can do?

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.